Volunteering

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Geekzilla, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Geekzilla

Geekzilla Nibble Poster

I won’t go into the gory details but I left my job yesterday after several months of thorough unpleasantness.

I am hoping to spend the next two weeks volunteering at a small primary school, helping the chap who over sees the schools network and systems. I know he has a lot of work on at the moment and there a number of problems to correct and a server build required.

This is my first real exposure to a large network and server and would appreciate any good questions I should ask so I don’t look too green and also so I can hit the ground running.

If I make a good impression it might turn into something longer term.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Certifications: None, Yet
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

If you're going to be working in a school you may also want to check out www.edugeek.net

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You will look green. That's unavoidable. You lose that by gaining experience.

Simply watch and learn. By all means, ask questions if you don't understand something... but realize that asking a bunch of questions is going to eliminate any sort of volunteer benefit you can provide, as any potential time savings will be consumed by having to answer questions.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!