1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volunteering/shadowing

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mightywha, Oct 10, 2010.

1. mightywha

mightywha New Member

I am looking to offer my services, volunteering and shadowing in order to gain valuable experience and of course with a view to demonstrating my attributes first hand. I'm not really sure how and where to start. Should I be sending out speculative letters to as many companies as possible?

My situation is that I have been working for a leading ISP in a 1st line role for some time. I have worked shifts for quite a while and I've not really done a great deal in order to progress my career as I have been in my comfort zone. A while back decided that I needed to take action and all being well I will have the first level (CCNA) under my belt in a little over a months time, following quite a bit of study. (My girlfriend tells me its taken too long, but doesn't really understand the undertaking. I've done home study, a bootcamp and most of the CCNA exploration course and been at it over a year).

Anyway, I recognise that its getting more difficult to get a job in todays market, so I will be looking to boost my CV and experience by volunteering my services on completion of my certification. As I work shifts I will have some time to do this, without a huge finanacial impact to my own pocket.

Unfortunately the company I work for does not have a direct position for me to utilise my newly learned (there's confidence for you) certification in this location, hence me looking elsewhere.

I would particularly like to hear from anyone having used this tactic to gain future employment.

Many thanks,

Gaz

WIP: CCNA
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Just PM'ed you.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree