Volunteering in Technical Services

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ITMatt, Oct 28, 2007.

1. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to put this forward and gather your opinions on this thought.

I started with my recent employer in a 2nd/3rd Line Support role three weeks ago. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and would like to settle in this role for around 2-3 years (I will receive guarantee pay increases every six months for the next 3 years). The next step up on the ladder will naturally be Technical Services (3rd Line Support/Engineers).

How long should I wait before volunteering to gain experience in this department?

Apparently, a position comes it very rarely in this department (every couple of years, if that).

On the flip side of my plans, I've noticed that a lot of the higher technical positions are based down South. Would it be advantageous for me to consider relocating in 3+ years to get a foothold on the next step up?

Matt

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm thinking about my next move recently and have been in a 2nd line desktop support role for a year now and while I've learnt a lot the learning curve has virtually flattened out and its just repeating the same jobs again and again - and my question is the same as yours, when to move on?

The next obvious role for me would be server/AD support and the like - unfortunately the role may not exist in 18 months time so I don't want to go for a job (which like your situation don't come along too often and currently there are no vacancies) if I'm finding myself back on the search for a job, the same time everyone else is.

Thats the background for me - I would say, not too soon, in response to your question. Give it 6 months until you start feeling comfortable in your role - thats how long I would leave it until looking elsewhere. Ambition is good, but if your starting to look elsewhere just after starting a job, maybe the next employer (assuming its with the same company) may have doubts you'll stay in the new position any longer than you are now.

I left it 6 months, and started my MCDST, ready to take the first one shortly. Now a year into the job, I'm waiting until I've nailed the 2nd exam and started to look at the 70-270 before I volunteer time outside of my normal 37 hour week with the next team. At that time, for me, I'd feel comfortable in explaining why and giving a reasonable and plausable explanation I wanted to help out elsewhere. It *should* look good to the company as they can see I'm ambitious and willing to learn for free, as well as sending the right signal to them to say I'm committed to doing the job they're paying me for.

Just some thoughts....

Edit: After rambling on for a bit, I re-read your post..... change my angle slightly - in your situation. Get your feet under the table properly in this team and company (I read your post that its a new company you've joined?) and show them you're worth it - then approach them to volunteer for more - too eager may lean towards not being interested.

Good thread by the way :)
    Rep given

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO, as you have only just got to your current position 3 weeks ago, I would recommend that you just concentrate on this role for for next 2 years. You do not want to appear too eager especially when you've just been appointed, they may take it that you're just there for the experience then leave.

As for relocating, that would be entirely down to you and your situation at the time. I would relocate to climb the career ladder, but only if it was financially variable for my family & myself - and if my wife agrees (a marriage is an equal partnership with each one having a 50% share). You may be married by then with children.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Matt,

You sound like you enjoy the place, which is excellent :thumbleft

I agree with what has already been said, about settling into your current role. Although you say Technical Services roles come up rarely, with you wanting to advance in the next 2-3 years, the 'every couple of years' for Technical Services roles could fall in line with your ambitions very nicely. To that end, you may not have to relocate.

Focus on doing your new job to the best of your abilities. I would say 12 months is a minimum, to show your comptence in the role and committment to the company. You should only need to relocate (IMO) if you feel you are starting to stagnate in your role.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

Thanks guys, that's the type of encouragement and down to earth advice I needed.

I will continue concentrating on my new role, gaining experience and studying towards my OU degree. As stated, I will leave it 12 months or so before volunteering any time. It was more a thought of gaining additional experience, as the role I'm in and Technical Services seems to overlap soo much, though they get paid much more :biggrin:

At the minute, I'm in a trainee role, so plenty of time to learn and develope yet, along with a few pay rises, though I am very happy with the starting salary. My fault comes down to planning too far ahead in the future :rolleyes:

I'll certainly follow your advice.

Thanks

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Great advise given as well as received, don't worry about it as that's what the majority of us on CF are signed or subscribed to the forum for:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell