Voluntary experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Moudud Ahmed, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Moudud Ahmed

Moudud Ahmed Bit Poster

Hello everyone I am new to this forum,

I just wanted to ask I am final university student studying IT. I want to volunteer so I can get experience. Preferably I want to volunteer at the school or college during the summer holidays. So how do I get voluntary opportunities with schools and colleges?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You ask them, things won't come to you, you have to go out and find the opportunities.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

This. Worked for me.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  4. Moudud Ahmed

Moudud Ahmed Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply. Where did you volunteer? and how did you get into the volunteering position

5. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

Agree'd. I landed a position at the company I'm working for now by offering to do voluntary work. The script went as follows:

Me: looked on yell.com for all the local I.T companies
    Me: phoned them all asking if there were any jobs going
    Company: send your CV to us (only one out of loads said this, rest said nothing going sorry)
    Me: sent CV
    Company: Sorry we have no positions at the moment but may we keep your CV on file?
    Me: Of course you may, could i ask about the possibility of voluntary work?
    Company: come in and see us and we can have a chat

After an initial chat which you could sort of call an interview i guess, they allowed me to do Voluntary work for them over the holidays (6 week hols). 2 weeks into it they said they wanted to pay me for it (back dated i think to day 1). 4 weeks in and with 2 weeks to go they offered me a permenant position.

Still working there now and progressed a little within the company.

Just goes to show, if you dont ask you dont get.

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  6. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Think I used something similar to Do-it - Volunteering made easy .

I just volunteered for a local charity, got noticed by an IT company who were providing IT support for charity - got interview and got the job, I would do it again if I had to and will always recommend it. Some people have the wrong attitude as doing free work... you have to get noticed and get yourself out there pimping yourself so to speak. Blogging/linkedin/twitter are also good to interact with people if you put the effort it.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just to put in my little bit about working in a school or college - It is very hard these days to get a placement in a school as CRB checks must be carried out before you can come on site. Unless you will be 100% supervised at all times when on site you will need one of these.

As schools must pay to have the CRB check carried out they are less and less likely to offer up voluntary positions, unless it is for something that they want. People getting placements in schools / colleges tend to be with a training provider who will cover the cost of the CRB checks.