Problem Volume License and OEM Hardware

Discussion in 'Software' started by DC Pr0Mo, Jun 7, 2010.

1. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Hi guys

At the moment we are planning on reformatting the majority of our workstations within the company (approx 250 desktops). All workstations have Windows XP installed and are OEM. I’m the first to admit that software licensing is not one of my strong points. I understand that it is not allowed to create a base image with an OEM disc and we want to avoid manually rebuilding every machine, so that’s where volume licensing comes in to play.

Now my understanding of this is a little hazy to say the least, I have heard that as long as you have 1 volume license for the OS (we have 20) and it is the same as the OEM license for the workstation you intend to reimage then you can legally reimage all workstations.

I have also read that to reimage the 250 workstation we would need 250 volume licenses.

Having spoken to our reseller they state we should be fine to go with reimaging all workstations without buying additional licensing. And after speaking to Microsoft License Query Department they state the opposite, we need to purchase the same amount of licenses as workstations we plan on reimaging.

The reason I question the guy I spoke to from the License Query Department is that he is human and could be wrong and others have stated different (meaning we don’t have to spend a huge amount of money to go forward with this plan)

This document form Microsoft Reimaging.docx to me sounds like we don’t need to purchase any more licenses, but this is very confusing and something we want to get correct before making a decision on the best way forward.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

[removed]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the reply

So in my case where we have 250 oem windows xp pro workstation, and a xp pro volume license with 20 xp pro licenses, then my company would need to purchase an extra 230 xp pro (would mostly like be vista downgrade) licenses to reimage all 250 machine with the volume license? :cry:

4. supernova

I am not so sure reading that document, i have a feeling we have been mis-sold licences by microsoft.

5. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

It is very confusing for me nova, I have posted this on the spiceworks forum which a member of microsoft has replied to which offers me light at the end of the tunnel.

Mods remove the link if its in breach of forum rules

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/100913

6. supernova

yeah were are upgrading to windows 7 so that makes sense buying volume upgrades with SA for each machine.

7. supernova

sorry if i confused things. i forget we used the microsoft software donations programs and the rules are different for some products our retail equivalents are delivered via eopen.