VOL keys but no iso's?

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Neerdael, Jan 23, 2009.

1. John Neerdael

John Neerdael Nibble Poster

Hello everyone, hopefully I'm in the right forum for this. I received some VLK (Volume license keys) from school for some software to setup a lab at home for self training. I've received keys for XP/Vista/Server 2008 & 2003/SQL Server 2008/Exchange 2007 & 2003.

I've tried to grab the evaluation version of windows server 2008 x64 enterprise from ms technet but once I have to go to the download link I get a error that the page doesnt exist. Does anyone have the direct download links?

WIP: MCTS: 70-640
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. John Neerdael

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Are you a tech in a school or a student?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. John Neerdael

Student at a school, the school has access to licentions for students through MSDN.

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There are a couple of ways then.

1. The teacher downloads the software and gives it to you or
    2. They give you the MSDN website (something like this) with a logon so that you can download the software yourself

Most likely it'll be option one that would happen.

Even if you had the retail versions of the software the MSDN keys that they gave you will not work with it. MSDN keys for MSDN versions of the product, etc...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. John Neerdael

Oh ok, so I cant just download the evaluation version and go from there with the key?

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nope. You will need to get the version that matches the type of key you've got.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. John Neerdael

As a update, I downloaded the following iso Microsoft.Windows.Server.2008.x64.DVD-BetaInsiders yesterday to see where I would get, it's the RTM version without a key. I wasnt able to enter a key during setup, if I did enter my VLK there the setup would give a error so I installed without key. Once it was installed I went to Control Panel -> System, and choose Change Product Key (I did follow these steps for certainty: http://forevergeeks.com/change-product-key-on-windows-server-2008) Entered my key from school and tada it activated correctly so I'm set now :) Maybe this can be of help for someone else who gets in the same situation as me and doesnt want to wait till monday to get to the sys admin to get some real msdn iso's :p