VoIP - Any favourites, warnings, advice, known conflicts?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by unemployedstudent, Mar 5, 2006.

1. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

Hello Forum,

I am pretty sure this is the right thread to place this posting, being telecommunications, but if it's not please feel free to move it. :blink

I've read a little bit about VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol), there are apparently several services available, but my question is this;

If I was to download one such package as 'Skype', could I download and use another package like the 'new Yahoo! Messenger with Voice' or would there be a conflict?

Basically, can a user have more than one package on their computer?

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  2. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

I have both Skype and Yahoo Messenger, no conflicts here.

And i wouldn't imagine there would be any either.

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I've downloaded skype the other day.

I think the video on it seems better than using the MSN messenger video and the quality of the sound is slightly better...

However its like everything else.. how often are you goin to use it? and do you know anyone else who has it to make it worth while??

I have loads of friends on Messenger but only my old man under skype contacts as i dont know any one else who has it. Until i do, i think its a lil bit usless, however if more ppl get on it then it'll be great!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Let me throw another question into this. Was in Tesco last week, and they are punting a nice deal on internet phones (well, crap actually, as they want 2p a minute for something we can all get for nowt) on a phone that hooks up to t'Internet via usb using their software. I wondered, and did ask, but seemed to stump the sales hottie, if their phone would work with Skype, Googletalk, or MSN ? I believe it almost certainly would, but would welcome further opinion on this ?

Sorry for the post hijack :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

As far as im aware Jak, the any USB handset can be used with Skype, just needs to be selected in the Skype setting after drivers are installed i imangine. On another side note, i know my ISP is now doin A VOIP option supplied with thier broadband. They do a wireless router with a rj11 skt for a normal BT phone so it can be used as a VOIP.
    http://www.freedom2surf.com/voip/ is thier price guide,

Details of router.....
    Billion 7402VGP VoIP/802.11g Wireless Router
    Interface 3 ethernet, WiFi 802.11g, 2 Phone ports, 1 PSTN Lifeline
    Microsoft Support 98SE, ME, 2000, XP
    Mac Support Ethernet
    Max D/L Speed 8 Mbit*
    Max U/L Speed 1 Mbit
    Num Microfilters 1
    Console Compatibility PSP, Playstation 2, XBOX

6. Scribbler

Scribbler New Member

Skype is my personal fave due to being able to talk to more than one person at once, and having better quality than TS :D

Normaly in a call with 4 or more people at a time when playing games online, so it gets alot of use, and I'm yet to experience any problems with it. :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: Still figuring this out :D
  7. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies forum, especially from;

Arisen, Twizzel, Jakamoko, Scribbler. :D

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

So have you tried it yet?

I use skype quite often and it blows me away sometimes how good the quality is. My mate has a decent mic/headset and when he uses that, the quality is nearly as good as FM radio.

Skype out is also a cheap option for calling olde LL phones :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have a fair amount of VOIP kit. I use it to make calls mostly to Geographic numbers. Nobody has made any comment about the quality, which bodes well!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I would use skype more if i knew more ppl with it lol. However the quality is better than MSN messenger or Teamspeak and as its free its well worth it. Only problem i get is when i talk to me old man on it i can here the delay as my voice is repeated over his system.. its due to his setup of mic and speakers tho.