Vodafone connect manager (3g)

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by supernova, Jul 2, 2010.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Is it me or is the software with the USB modem sticks a complete dog?

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. supernova

one of my chaps wanted one to run on a old intel centrino 1.8G with 2GB RAM, windows xp pro.

We plug it in , installs fine. glows red, blue, then to light blue, We then click on the icon nothing happens and we have to wait ages and keep clicking.

3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I have a load of problems with these at work. Every network, not just Vodafone.
    Seems to be a config problem but I'm damned if I know what it is. An OS reinstall normally does the trick, if the dongle is known good.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. supernova

these are new modems, however, aren't as nice as the older models. As for the reinstall we have only been trying them on freshly imaged machines.

I could try windows 7, however, we don't really want to move over at this stage , we would like them to remain the same as the desktops so users are familiar with the setup and migration would need to be planned in more depth something we are working on gradually with our bespoke software applications.

I guess its time to look a using mobiles either via cable or bluetooth. Because i can see users not been able to cope with these offsite.

Thanks for the reply

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

These dongles have always been absolute ****e. Way back when they were still PCMCIA cards they were crap, and every iteration I've used since has been dire. The software is buggy beyond belief, never works properly unless the user is a local admin, punks out every thirty minutes without fail (even if you never move the friggin laptop) and I regularly have to wait 90 seconds after plugging the dingle in before getting the software to actually acknowledge that anything has happened.

Add to that the fact that Vodafone's 3G network (already creaking at the seams) is being utterly rinsed because of the iPhone and HTC (with no reliable upgrade in sight for at least two years) and you have a recipe for immense frustration.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. supernova

would you agree that tethering would be a step forward?

Basically we need to take them to a few deprived areas that don't have broadband access

Thats another reason why i dont really want to use them

I know what you mean unfortunately there isnt a lot we can do about that one.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

8. supernova

9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Yeah. Need to be an admin to install first time though.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  10. supernova

Yeah i realise that, i mean for everyday usage once drivers and software have been installed.

cool :D

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have found most of these dongle's pretty crap so far also.

But don't despair there is a portable solution. :)

[​IMG]

Simply set this up to get Internet wherever you may be! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Vodafone dongles are notoriously bad! Depending on the build/model of machine you will need to vary the install package! In my experience i have found the PCMCIA and Express slot cards to be much more dependable and hence we no longer have the USB dongles in our company :twisted:

13. supernova

What do you mean by "vary the install package" ?

14. supernova

lol yeah we probably would end up with that if it wasnt for the running cost :biggrin

15. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

This is the most sucessfull install package for all Vodafone 3G software in my experience, it has worked everytime for me :D Linky

16. supernova

Thanks i will have a look, i presume it still requires local admin rights for usage something i am not keen on. Once installed i rather use limited users.

17. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Required Local admin rights for the install only, Let me know how you get on!