Vodafone 3G cards

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by zxspectrum, Nov 14, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Has anyone had any issues with these cards at all. Ive started to work for a phone company in the UNI that im going to , part time to make ends meet etc. Now they have a laptop set up with one of these cards. They are currently having trouble with sending information and the only thi g i can think of is that the files they are sending are quite big. As these files are TIF images and if im reading it right the 3g cards are sending the info half the speed of a dial up modem

Has anyone got any info to help me with this at all , as im sure this will make me look good etc .

Thanks all
    Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

That speed sounds about right! :ohmy

TIFFs can be very big (although frequently I've found that people are setting the wrong defaults which bloats them) and I wouldn't normaly think of sending such things via a mobile connection.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

I've only used them once, but speed was better than that. Just don't forget the pin or you'll need an unlock code ... or so I've been told *ahem*

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

3g cards can do up to 384kbit/s but if you're only getting a 2 or 2.5g connection then it'll be dial up speed or less...

check the connection first...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I've just had to set up 3 of these buggers at work over the last couple of days. We just changed network provider so had to install new SIM's and reconfigure them.

No major issues really. Had to re-install the software for one user but that got it working again. 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270