vmware virtual lab for mcitp

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by RagingChicken, Jun 1, 2010.

1. RagingChicken

RagingChicken New Member

Hi,

I'm using vmware workstation 6 to manage a test lab, but i'm running into some problems.

I've installed windows server 2008 enterprise with DHCP, DNS, and Active directory. I also have a windows xp machine joined to this domain. I'm not bothered about connecting my test lab to the internet (adsl modem) I would just like to run it an isolated environment.

I'm running both virtual machines with the NAT networking mode. The xp client is having trouble getting an IP from the DHCP server. Is this the correct networking mode I should be working in?

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You should shut down both machines, go into each machines preferences (edit virtual machine settings), select the network adapter (on the hardware tab) and then select custom:specific virtual network. Make sure to select the same VMnet for both machines.

After doing this you can go to Edit on the main menu and choose virtual network editor. Here you can see the VMnet settings. You can either change the VMnet settings for the one you chose for your machines or you can take note of these pre-set settings and configure them in your server.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. RagingChicken

RagingChicken New Member

thanks that did the trick