VMware VCP

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by Luddym, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

The current exam is based on ESX 3.0, but will soon be updated to ESX 3.5, but does anyone know if I pass on the current material, will I need to upgrade when the exam changes?

Aslo, does anyone know when the change over is?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Mate,

Hope this answers your question:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Starke

Starke Nibble Poster

I'm interested in taking this in the future as well. Have you taken your course and test yet? Thanks.

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging/Security, Net+, Security+
  4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I took the course early Feb, then got worried when I found out that new material would have been added to the exam if I didn't pass before March.

Long and the short of it, the course isn't enough to pass the VCP (Even the advanced course), but instead you need to put in lots of hours studying the material on the VMWare website.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/techresources/

I would say that Storage is a huge part of VMWare, and knowing your networked storage is a huge part of knowing what VMWare can and cannot do.

In short, I passed by pure luck, and only took the exam because I felt I was pressured into it. If I hadn't have taken it when I did, I know I would have never taken it due to the ESX 3.5 material being added and my MCSE still hanging over my head, that would have taken priority.

5. Starke

Starke Nibble Poster

Congrats on passing. So did you just go the class and read the manuals and white papers or did you pick up a VMware book as well? Thanks again.

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Starke,

I'd been using ESX for a couple of months in a production environment... but other than that it was just the course and the resources on the VMware site.

Still haven't got any confirmation from VM about my pass or VCP status though.

8. Starke

Starke Nibble Poster

Thanks again, completely forgot about this.