VMware Server vs. Virtual PC 2007

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by tripwire45, Jan 21, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This isn't a "shootout" but rather a decision I need to make.

I've been tasked with creating an environment where I can install our latest server product as new test builds are created and working through the install and configure process. This is in part so I can document the processes and in part to make use of my time to help shake out issues with the product. I can choose to install either VMware server or Virtual PC 2007 on my production machine since both are free. I'm familiar with WMware Workstation and am leaning in that direction, but if anyone has an opinion (make it quick, I want to get started soon), now's the time.

VMware Server: http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Virtual PC 2007: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

One of the key features missing from Virtual PC 2007 is the ability to snapshot the image and revert back to a previous state when needed. This is something I use quite a bit and it saves me a lot of time. I believe snapshots are available in VMWare Server but limited to one per image.

VMWare server also has better support for non-microsoft operating systems if needed.

I'd go with VMWare Server [but if you can get the company to pay for Workstation then that would be the best option].

Added :

I forgot to mention that Virtual PC can only assign a single processor to each VM. Workstation [and I believe VMWare Server] can assign two.

Also I don't believe VMWare Server can create new Virtual Machines so if you don't have the ability to do this you might have to go with Virtual PC as this can create new VMs.

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

As far as I am aware VPC still cant support x64 guests which are becoming more and more common, thus you may need to start testing your software on those as well

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I've used both and both were sufficient for my needs. VMWare does seem to offer more options, but VPC has always accomplished what I needed. That being said, I use VMWare Workstation now.

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im with Ryan on this.. looks like in the future most of the testing software (Server 2008 Hyper V for example) with be only in 64 bit and Virtual PC 2007 doesnt support virtual hosts.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I like VMware's snapshot feature......for those times when you say "I really shouldn't have done that".

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'm installing VMware Server as we speak. I got an error message stating the VMware Management Interface installed successfully but did not start automatically. It said I'll have to start it manually from IIS. Bummer.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I opened VMware Server and don't seem to have the option of creating any VMs. The VMware Management Interface service is stopped and I can't start it as per the attached graphic. As far as I know IIS itself is started. Where do I begin troubleshooting this pesky little problem? Thanks.

Attached Files:

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just asking why don't you use MS Virtual Server? I'm only asking as it was a choice between VMware Server (instead of VMware Workstation) and VPC.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. JohnBradbury

VMWare server is only for running existing VMs. It doesn't have the ability to create new ones.

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Oh...well, *that* makes a difference. Guess I didn't read things as clearly as I should have before. :oops:

Seems that VMware Server doesn't play well with Windows XP Pro...at least in terms of the VMware Management Interface. I uninstalled and am reinstalling VMware Server and came across a message stating that the management interface is only supported on server operating systems. Also, when it tried to start the management interface, I got "Warning 25300 stating that it was installed and configured correctly but failed to start (this is where I came in).

12. JohnBradbury

Trip I would also recommend you take a quick look at VirtualBox, it's an excellent product similar to VMWare Workstation and it's 100% free.

13. np3893

np3893 Bit Poster

I've used VMware server in the past and have had no problems creating new vm's with it. As far as i know it is VMware player that you can't create new vm's with. Unless VMware have changed this in the last couple of months.

In terms of VMware Server and VMware Workstation, Workstation adds more features such as the ability to use the sound card etc.

Certifications: BSc, A+, MCSA 2k3, 70-293
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  14. JohnBradbury

Appologies for pointing you down the wrong path. I was under the impression VMWare Server couldn't do this, but then again I use Workstation so my knowledge of VMWare server is limited. I must have mixed it up with the player...

Thanks np3893

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

All may not be lost. I reviewed the original email from my "mentor" and it says in part:

16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Huh?

I'm pretty sure VMWare PLAYER is for running VMs, VMWare Server should be able to run them all fine

Edit: Sorry np, totally missed your post mate! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0