VMWare Question

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by daft_togger, Aug 9, 2009.

1. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

I know I am a brave man admitting this on this forum, but at Home I am using a Mac Pro and have VMWare for my exam prep.

Having just set up domain as per Cragie's post (which is superb) I have my DC server and created 2 other servers as well as 2 xp workstations. I've just given them 192.168.0.2, 3, 4 and 5.

I have successfully joined them to the domain and proved this via a simple ping.

Now, on my DC, I've created a few dummy user accounts just to play around a bit. I created Useraccount1 and given it a password etc......but when I tried to log on to it, it said my domain was not available.....but was able to log on with my administrator password and own account.

Later I was able to sign on fine, but my 2nd user account is now doing the same, I get a pop up saying my domain is not available.

Both user are just memebers of the domain user group, which should be enough to allow them to log on......

Any help appreciated.

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291
  2. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

A Mac Pro? No mate, you can't use that for studying. Post it to me and i'll make sure its safely disposed of :D.

No seriously, I'm using a Macbook for my main system and for studying server 2003 alongside vmware and it works well. Check your virtual machine settings, and make sure they are all set the same. I set mine to Bridged mode. Then check that they are all showing as 'connected' in vmware. I've found that sometimes vmware will have the network set as not connected, but within the actual virtual machine, the nic is showing as connected. Then log on to all the machines and try the ping tests again. I have seen VMWare be a bit flaky in this respect before, but less so since the last update.

HTH

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  3. daft_togger

Thanks Maria, that seems to have helped, still a bit flaky, but I can now sign in with my dummy accounts now. Cheers

4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Not sure exactly how you are set up, but make sure your DC is started before trying to log in with the clients.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Sounds a bit like a dns issue possibly. you dont have one of the clients pointing to the dc DNS and also a router or isp dns or something have you. Or maybe you are not giving the dc enough time to boot properly before starting the client.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. daft_togger

I think your last point is correct, because I did manage to log on with my other dummy accounts without making any further changes after a while........I know at work for example if you change a user password, it can take a few mins to replicate out to the other DC's......but I would have thought on my VM, it would be quicker.

Cheers for the help chaps.

7. daft_togger

yes, mate, I did have it fired up, but as Dale says it must take a bit longer.

8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Nothing wrong with that - I am doing the same on my Macbook, and there is a good sprinkling of Mac users on here.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012