VMware ESXi on a USB device

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by Makaveli, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Can anyone recommend a supported USB device for running ESXi from. I have searched on the internet but cant seem to find much info, although from my research it seems some types of USB stick have caused issues. Details of make, model and size would be appreciated.

2. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Found this link he says pretty much use any but vmware recommend using 16gb plus flash drives

http://www.vtagion.com/boot-esxi-usb-flash-drive/

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Thanks mojorisin and SimonD for the responses.

SimonD - how have you found the reliability of the SanDisk Cruzer USB's? I think I will go for the smaller ones. Also what size drives did you purchase? I read on the VMware website that it is recommended to have a bigger than 4GB USB drive.

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I haven't had any issues with them at all, I used 4GB drives with 5.x and 8gb for 5.5, no issues (apart from the lack of scratch partition with anything less than 8GB). The 16gb Fits only cost £7 anyway.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

After a bit of research it seems a few people have found the SanDisk Cruzer Fit to have a high failure rate so I am leaning towards the Kingston DataTraveler Micro. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So as an update to this, I am still running the same Cruzer Fit devices that I was running when I first posted here, with the exception of the drive turning read-only the drive has been running flawlessly, the read-only thing is fixed by formatting the drive with mbr during installation (instructions can be found over on my blog here)

8. yung lee

yung lee New Member

I also uses USB to boot my ESXi

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Just a further update, I am still using the Cruzer Fit, they are still reliable and working as intended.