VMware ESXi host upgrades

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Makaveli, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

In my home lab I have ESXi hosts running on USB sticks and I want to upgrade them to the latest version. As the hosts are on USB devices I was wondering what options I have to upgrade them. Is it just a case of removing the USB device and loading the new version of ESXi on them and then plugging them back in and rebooting or is there a slicker way of doing it for example via update manager or can I not do that with hosts that are on USB devices...

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What version of ESXi are you currently running?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I am currently running ESXi 5.1 and vCenter 5.5

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Pretty sure I went down the route of an inplace upgrade when I did it (I go straight to 5.5 now).

I would probably wait a couple of days before you do upgrade tho (hint here being that things are about to change).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Thanks. Can the in place upgrade that you refer to be done through vCenter? Does it make any difference that I created my USB bootable using third party software?

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Being a bit of a dick but I actually blogged about the upgrade process for an in-place upgrade - ESXi 5.5 Upgrade in 7 Steps « Everything Virtual

Again if you like the information please vote for my blog at Top VMware/virtualization blogs 2014

7. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I prefered to see it work via the GUI first. I have found a video on YouTube demonstrating it being done via update manager and I have just tried it on one of my ESXi hosts and it worked :beers2

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014