VMWare ESX problem booting VM's

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by SimonV, Aug 12, 2008.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi all,

Our esx server wont power on any vm's, I get an error of:

and in the server event log iI get this error after the fialed startup of a VM:

Very odd as I only upgraded to the latest version of ESX lastweek.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hi si

When you upgraded, are you sure you did the licensing part correctly? That error seems certain to be related either to licensing or (less likely) ntp problems.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

If you did a major version upgrade (2.5 - 3 or 3 - 3.5) then your license file will need to be upgraded as well, as far as i recall

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

No just a build update, see link above for answer. Turned out its a bug in esx.

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I was about to say had anyone else seen this issue, I came across it over on the edugeek forums.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Apologies for earlier Si - seems like I was on the right track as to what the issue was, but didn't know there was a major problem with u2. Just been browsing various posts on the VMWare forums - a lot of unhappy peeps out there running production systems that have been hosed by it.

VMWare are starting to experience a few 'issues' like this - I guess related to them now no longer being the equivalent of Barcelona playing in the Unibond league :biggrin. The more companies with decent virtualisation products that they have to compete with, the more likely it is that QA will slip as a result - pound to a penny this is just an instance of some idiot manager at EMC screaming at VMWare techies to release code that just hasn't been quality checked.

Although, with all that said, I have to wonder at why someone would slap an update on a production system less than a week after its been released - unless they were experiencing major instability issues with an older version (something I haven't come across with u1) painful experience tells me that the risk of upgrading for the sake of it just aint worth it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

As far as I've read it seems to relate to update 2 and mostly to a specific date, namely 12th August. It could possibly be the expiration date of the beta for update 2 that is causing the problems.

In any case, if you change the date to sometime before the 12th of August it should start functioning properly.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685