Vmware ESX 3.5 and VM memory

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by NWD, Oct 5, 2008.

1. NWD

NWD Bit Poster

Quick question for you all..

Currently studying for the VCP 310 exam for version 3.5 and i'm getting a bit confused with ESX memory, I currently use ESX 3.02 at work and I can allocate a maximum of 16gb of memory to a VM, VMWare config maximums says you can allocate a maximum of 64gb to a VM. Is this a new limit in ESX 3.5 or am i getting things muddled up.

Plan is to upgrade to ESX 3.5 in the near future, when I eventually get round to it...

Certifications: MCSE, VCP
    WIP: 70-649
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I am no VMware expert, but found this, not sure if it help you or not.

I guess if you don't get an answer here by the time when you do the required course for the exam, you'll be able to find out then :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Bit Poster

Indeed .. the VM Limit in ESX 3.0 is 16GB and in 3.5 its 64 GB ...

ESX 3.0 Maximums
    ESX 3.5 Maximums

Make sure you study all the PDFs available ..

Certifications: VCP, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA
    WIP: MCITP: Database Admin
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exam confidentiality really means nothing to you, does it? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Bit Poster

To be fair .. this is not a secret that you need to study all PDFs in order to pass the exam and not just maximums ..

But fair enough, I removed my post ... since you quoted me this is kinda pointless tho ... And stop attacking me already dammit ...

Certifications: VCP, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA
    WIP: MCITP: Database Admin
  6. NWD

NWD Bit Poster

Cheers dude, that was the clarification I was looking for... Yep got a big pile of Vmware PDF's next to my bed haha

7. BosonMichael

Still, it's not for you to say what they should focus on for the exam, with a wink and a nudge. That's the point of exam confidentiality.

I'll stop "attacking you", as you put it, when you stop damaging the integrity of certifications on this forum.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. NWD

NWD Bit Poster

To be fair dude, I was told to make sure I knew my config maximums by the instructor on my Vmware course 8)

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Mike, whilst the mods appreciate your alertness in these matters, I would like to point out that had we deemed the content to be improper, we would of removed it

Telling you to 'make sure you know the maximums' is no different than telling you to 'make sure you know DNS' in a Microsoft test

this is not a breach of any NDA, this is common exam prep knowledge, and the vague wording of the comment would not of breached an exam NDA anyway

Please don't wave the NDA around heavy handily when it does not come close to applying

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. BosonMichael

Whether you removed it or not, I'll say whatever I see fit to say, Ryan, as long as I'm staying within forum rules. You don't have to agree with me, but I'm not gonna stop attempting to protect the integrity of certification exams. If you don't like that, you can go ahead and ban me. :dry Because if this forum would rather silence someone for attempting to protect an NDA, then that's a place I don't need to support.

It does "come close to applying", if he's saying he needs to...

If you'd like to discuss it further, I've got a PM box with room to spare.

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Mike

I'll be honest with you, even I found the attack on gombaja a bit much at the end. And this is coming from someone who has a history of carrying things on a bit too far :biggrin

He's done himself no favours here admittedly, but I think continually quoting an nda at him won't help - especially when he's bothered to stick around and put up with the abuse. I thought the last post was a bit silly - all he did was indicate that he had questions about the maximum ram specs in esx - something that isn't so much hinted at by vmware as steamrollered into you when you attend the (required) training course.

If he'd come out and said the exact questions he was asked, including specifics, then fair enough. What he did was no worse than someone coming out of an xp exam and saying that they had questions on releasing and renewing IP addresses or coming out of a server exam and stating they had questions about the difference between raid 1 and raid 5. The questions are so fundamental to the subject that they plain HAVE to be on the exam.

I'm not doing this to start a row - I just think you took it a bit too far this time :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. BosonMichael

For the record, I'd have the same problem with someone revealing that sort of information as well. If Microsoft or CompTIA wants you to know specifically to know the difference between RAID 1 and RAID 5, they'll say so. Otherwise, if the exam objectives simply say to know your RAID levels, but it doesn't mention any specifics, that's as far as should be mentioned. We should simply point them to the exam objectives.

Just my opinion. Exam integrity is exam integrity. You either protect it, or you let things slide and indirectly encourage the behavior. Frankly, I'm tired of seeing exam integrity get thrown out the window.

That's fine - you can have that opinion. Say what you will, but it's still not gonna stop me from posting when I see what *I* believe is an NDA violation.

13. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I quite agree that all breakings of the NDA are just plain wrong........but if you ever sit the VCP course, alot of it is about learning is about what the equipment can and can't do, including minimums and maximums. The VCP is obviously quite different from Microsoft stuff....

and I know that the actual course really does focus on learning the minimums and maximums (strengths and weaknesses) of what VMWare really can do.

I cannot see how exam integrity can be comprimised by basically saying "learn what the product can do, and what are it's limitations.' It isn't like he can know that stuff without actually learning it in this case.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  14. BosonMichael

Go ahead, everyone, line up and take a shot...

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Oh get over yourself won't ya Mike? So far as I can see, its only me and Luddym who've said anything to you about this - Phoenix is a mod and can say what he likes to you. It doesn;t matter anyway - the guy's long gone and I'll be surprised if he ever posts here again.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I'll retract my earlier comments - there's no sense having a row about it.

16. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

:eek: wow!

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  17. BosonMichael

Nothing to get over... if you guys disagree with me, I can take the shots. Now's your chance! :p

18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

That's the spirit!

Lemme see...

Preds.... nah, too easy

The upcoming US election... nah, too controversial

How about... Yeps, here we go:

[​IMG]

:twisted:

19. BosonMichael

Yeah, it might be a rough 2008-2009 for my Preds. :( That's okay... I CAN TAKE THE SHOTS!!! :twisted:

Both candidates are here today. Want me to go have a word with one or both?

At the moment, I wouldn't mind seeing them both drop out of the election as they both voted on the bailout. :dry If there were anyone else worth voting for, I'd do it.

I'm cuter. 8)

...and poorer...