VMware Certified Professional (VCP) exams

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Stig, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Stig

Stig Bit Poster

I know this probably belongs in the Certification forums, but this is the closest I could find!

Has anyone got any experience of the VMware Certified Professional (VCP) programme, the exams or the courses? Obviously, I've looked on the VMware site.

I'm up to date with my Microsoft Certifications, but I'd like to give VMWare a go!

Certifications: ACA MCP MCSA MCSE MCTS MCITP MCAS MCT
    WIP: MCAP
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ummm ryan will be along shortly im sure... so get all your questions ready... 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

One of the main things to consider with the VMware exam is that it requires attendance of the course, this helps them maintain the integrity of the course at the expense of a few experts not bothering with it

The Installation and configuration course is four days long and covers a lot of the material required for the VCP exam, that said it alone will not get you a pass, you will need some hands on experiance and a bit of self study reading of the ESX library and such

ESX is an all together different beast to VMware Server and/or Workstation, so its also worth bearing in mind
    that said, any job reference asking for VMware is not likely interested on if you know Workstation or Server, its likely pure ESX experiance they are looking for (and those instances are up 75% on last year!)

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Stig

Stig Bit Poster

Thanks! It sounds like Citrix used to be, with the courses and exams very closely tied together.

Has anyone been on the courses who can comment on the content/quality? What kind of money are we talking?

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Quality of the course varies greatly on the instuctor, as does any course, the content is fine, it covers what its supposed to, what a lot of people think is thats all you need, thus think the course is lacking

average price for a 4 - 5 day course is 1200 - 1500 quid

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Holy crap! :ohmy That price doesn't just keep the experts out...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

well depending on class size, it's not that suprising, as a consultant my rates can go as high as 2000 a day
    thats 10000 for a five day course, so 10 students and you have paid for the instructor with a bit left for venue, food, materials, etc

not THAT ott
    although a lot of the instructors i have worked with (not talking about vmware ones) dont nearly warrant 2000 a day ;)

8. Stig

Stig Bit Poster

Actually, that's a bit cheaper than the £2500 for some Microsoft courses!

They do mention Online courses US$ 2995 + Tax. Is there any other way to get access to training resources?

It might be cheaper to try the exam, and then retake it!

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

As stated above
    you cant actually attain VCP status without having a course certificate saying you attended the course (much like the old Compaq ASE courses)

and that 2500 for a microsoft course is often a whole MCSA which is multiple courses :)
    never heard of a single moc course being that high, woah!