VMWare Beta 5: Problems installing VMWare Tools on Linux VM

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by tripwire45, Dec 27, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Probably Ryan will the the one to answer this but anybody can take a crack at it. The instructions for installing VMWare Tools on a Linux VM for VMWare versions 4 and 4.5 no longer seem to be valid.

Once I cd into the vmware-tools-distrib directory and execute the command ./vmware-install.pl, I'm asked a series of questions about where I want to install the various configurations files. Then I get to the end of the install and receive the following message:

Before running VMware Tools for the first time, you need to configure it by
    invoking the following command: "/etc/vmware-config-tools.pl". Do you want this
    program to invoke the command for you now? [yes] y

sh: line 1: /sbin/vmware-checkvm: Permission denied
    This configuration program is to be executed in a virtual machine.

Execution aborted.

Previously, I received the "Execution aborted" command because /sbin/vmware-checkvm did not exist. I created a file by that name in the /sbin directory as root and now am getting the permission denied message.

I've checked both the instructions in the VMWare manual and online and can't find anything that helps me. What am I missing?

Oh...and I've also posted the same info on the VMWare Beta 5 Discussion Board.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Problem was the tools had been installed in the root directory instead of /usr/bin. Once I moved the tools and ran them, it went like clock work.

Certifications: A+ and Network+