VMWARE Backup Solution

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by JohnBradbury, Jul 23, 2009.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys,
    as some of you may know I've been messing around ESX and building a new home lab. At the moment I have two hosts which connect to a single iSCSI target. I have 9 virtual machines running on this setup but this is increasing rapidly and I want to make sure that if everything goes t*ts up I don't lose everything. Whilst it wouldn't be the end of the world it would take me many hours to get back to this point.

What backup solutions do you guys use to backup/snapshot virtual machines?

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

What are you using for your SAN? If you use Openfiler you can snapshot or replicate using that - that way you'll only have to restore to the last time you did that.

Personally I use VRanger from Vizioncore - but it aint free!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

Could install VMware VCB on another virtual machine. It will provide you with scripts to snapshot and copy the virtual machine configs and data (VMDK split into 2GB files).

This will be done at file level and then you have the option to move another location if required (via normal back up software) or just store in a one time location that gets overwritten every time the scripts are run.

To restore just take the files and use VMware converter standalone to convert them back into a single VMDK file plus configs.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!