VMWare Ace

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Moif, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Moif

Moif Bit Poster

Has anyone here actually seen this put to use yet?

Info: http://www.vmware.com/products/ace/

It sounds pretty good and could help out with centralising desktops. Not to mention keeping things locked down.

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I have 2 licenses with my version of VMWare. Havent used it at all yet though. Might do once i get my domain up and running again. Would be handy to be able to VPN in from out and about and mess about with the domain.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

ACE is not really used for centralising desktops (although the terminology can often be confusing)

there are two concepts to consider here

VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) is simply the fact of installing desktop OS environments to a virtual platform (such as VI3) and a means to facilitate easy access to clients (often called a broker) and thus just having pools of centralised desktops for users to log in to where and when they need, very poweful offering, already seeing great use in outsourcing, call centers and other environments with heavy usage of shift employment and the like

ACE is a way of providing a secure defined desktop to an untrusted user
    the common example is a consultant with his own laptop working at company X
    using ACE company X can issue him an operating system image that he can run on his laptop, and whilst his laptop can be prohibited from using the network, services, etc, the ACE image can in fact use it all, but is governed by corporate policy such as AV, Firewalling and the like, limiting the risk and exposure to the company
    Also ACE employs expiration technology and other time management features to limit when/where the consultant can use his ACE image, and render it useless once his time at company X comes to an end

whilst there is some overlap feature wise between the two products, they serve very different purposes in the grand scheme of things

that said, ACE is indeed, pretty damn cool :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0