VMware 5 Beta Version

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Fergal1982, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Vmware 5 beta is out now (workstation)!

find out more here

The benefit for this is that its free! the tradeoff is that its a beta, so it may well be bug ridden, but for anyone wanting to give it a go. theres no 30 day trial on it (i dont think!)

The new version also has the capability to record AVI's of activity within VMware. making it a useful tool in showing people how to do things. if it works out well (and we can find a way to deal with bandwidth etc) it could mean having .AVI files of tutorials of how to do something for the certs! at the very least it should work with any masterclasses etc.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Drool. I suppose you have to uninstall the current version in order to use 5 Beta, tho.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

shouldnt do i dont think. install it in a separate directory an it should be fine!

one drawback is that you cannot disable the DEBUG option, but since its mainly designed to test and discover faults you cant blame them!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Just install it in vmware trip.. wait, nevermind
    :)

looking good, the snapshiot manager looks like a great improvement over the current 'one snapshot only' model, and the LAN stuff seems to look better, downloading now :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Unfortunatly it does indeed tell you thaty ou have an older version that needs to be uninstalled and then rebooted prior to use

for me this is not such a problem, as i know it will pick up all of my os's again, but its a hassle for alot of people :)

trip, I would give it a try mate if you havnt got too much to lose, its rare that betas actually have tons of problems once they hit this public state

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Welllll..........it wouldn't hurt to download the thing and at least *think* about it. :rolleyes: :biggrin

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Just a quick note
    you will recieve a new beta code via email
    i fumbled around swearing for half an hour before i noticed that part, as it wouldnt accept my 4.5 code
    heh :)

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

First thing I checked. ;-) I downloaded the beta onto my laptop while at work but won't get a chance to install it on my lab machine until later tonight. I've been having some trouble installing Novell's SUSE Enterprise Server demo and I'm hoping the V5 beta will solve that problem.

It would be great if you give the rest of us an advanced "head's up" on how it works for you, Ryan. Thanks.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

well the debug option may cause us some problems in a production testing environment, as it cuts performance in half and THEN some, although im testing it at work and only have 256mb of memory hehe :)

ill give it a whirl for a little bit when i get home, got some Snort testing to do :)

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I don't care what VMWare says, installing VMWare Tools on my Red Hat VM is a pain in the @$$! :x It looked like it was a go in X-Windows but then wouldn't install. I tried it from a text window but after answering a number of questions regarding where to find this directory and that, it said it couldn't copy a set of files into a directory and aborted execution.

I tried VMWare's support site but it was useless and just presented me with the same set of instructions I'd used for installing VMWare on Linux for 4.5.

What am I missing?

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Got a reply to my post at the VMWare Beta 5 forum. Apparently, "losing" a VM after you try to suspend it is a widely reported bug (see my link in the post above for details). If you kill the process in Task Manager on your Windows host, the "lost" VM will return the next time you open VMWare.

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'm discovering that the beta version has an additional "unique feature". I downloaded some critical updates to my Windows 2000 Pro VM and restarted it. After restart, I couldn't reacquire the desktop of the IM...at least partly.

I could use the mouse to click the "help" link which shows you instructions on how to do the ctrl+alt+del key combo but when I hit ctrl+alt+insert, absolutely nothing happened. Hitting ctrl+alt+del did get me to the Windows Security box of the host no problem.

I had to close VMWare and restart the host before the problem was solved. I'm beginning to question the wisdom of my trying the beta 5 version on for size.

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

always wisdom in testing out new stuff trip, cant say i have experianced half the problems you have, but havnt had the chance to do a decent run of tests, and my updates were from a SUS server not WU.com

and you can always remove it :D

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'm considering it. I downloaded the thing because it was supposed to have better Linux support. I'm planning on doing a lot more work with Linux VMs in the coming months and it would be a big help. We'll see how it goes from here.

Too bad I can't run 4.5 for my "production" machines and the Beta 5 as a series of test machines. I could play with Beta 5 without losing productivity.

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

im pretty sure i can uninstall and re install, not sure how the vms will work with the upgraded hardware, but im not testing it on any of my working vms, just building new ones, so havnt upgraded any of my current vms :)

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok Phoenix...pop over to my other VMWare thread and tell me what I'm doing wrong when I try to upgrade VMWare Tools on my Red Hat VM. :oops: