VM Ware

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Cartman, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Hi guys,

Not exactly sure where to put this post - this seems a good a place as any - has anyone (apart from Kelton - I know you have ;-) ) had any experience in using it and has anyone got good things/bad things to say about it - and any tips on how to use it - thought I would try to use it to help me in my studies.

Cheers.

2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Never used it myself but I know that a good few of the folk on here have and do, all I can tell you is that you will need plenty memory for it to run properly.

HTH

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Yeah, you're not wrong about that. I have an AMD XP 2200+ system which is certainly up to the job, but only (only? thought it was fine when I bought it) 256MB 333Mhz RAM - looks like i'm going to have to at least double that and then some. The VM ware chugs a bit!

4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I use it Cartman.

You can't practice RIS with it, not with VM machines, but I wouldnt worry about RIS, I spent forever learning installs and I still forget stuff.

What I did a while back was set some time to learn VMWare, I used the VM website and read all of the documentation.That's what I'd advise.A bit of pre-planning helps a lot, just read up on it before you go crashing in.

There's many advantages.For me it was saving on space because the whole network is on my laptop.This saves space and also the need to buy other physical machines.There's quite a lot to learn but to get the basics it just takes a read of the main points in the documentation.

And ask any questions you like here, we'll help as much as we can.

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

No experiences of it so far, Cartman (hope to at some point), but it sure is the talk-of-the-town at the moment.

@Flex - how much memory do you have in your laptop to run the thing, and how do you have your virtual network set up ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

I may regret introducing you to it Cartman 8)

Now you tell me :) Ive been playing about with RIS for 2 days trying to figure out what I was doing wrong because it wouldnt work!!!

Jakamoko, Im running it on my new PC (you know the specs - 1Ghz of mem running at 423Mhz and a 2.2Ghz Processor). It runs very nice - even with 3-4 machines running. Im using bridged networking, and its interacting with my existing hard network very well. Got server set up as a domain controller, DNS server, DHCP Server and running Active Directory. Although I have a real network with 4 machines.... VM ware has saved hours and hours of time. No worries about existing setups and data, or jumping from machine to machine constantly formating.

One feature I find fantastic is mouting ISO images as CD-ROM drives. I have all the OS / Software CDs sitting as ISO images and just mount the one I need (no more slow CD installs!).

I also love the fact that I can create multiple HDD files, and have set up a raid0 array - and plan on setting up others... all without the need for seperate HDDs in your machine. It may only be a simulation of Raid, but its the practice setting up I need not the actual result.

7. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Well I've started to use it, and see I'm going to need a crash course in virtual networking. I definitely need more memory - my 2nd machine which is a AMD K6-III 450Mhz loads server faster than the virtual one does on the faster host machine....*passes hat around*

:alc2

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sounds complex, but powerful - how much learning is involved (out-of-the-box" ?)

I mean, do you have to spend 2 days with the manual (RTFM, I know 8) ), or can you just jump in at the deep end ?

Just wondering, in case I ever decide to splash out. Like I said, it is talk of the town right now, so maybe I should be thinking about it :scratch

9. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Gav,

It's as easy as selecting your virtual machines specs from a wish list. The only real physical limitations seem to be memory and Hard drive space and the drive space isn't all that big a concern. You want to give the machine 512mb memory, just type it into the memory config page. Want 5 scsi drives to play with raid under w2k, just change an option. When you start the virtual machine you get a window which looks just like the real deal, even has a working bios and everything. The machine may think it has an 8 gb hard drive but the actual space used on your real disk for the virtual drive is only as large as the files you have installed on the virtual machine, the files for the virtual drive grow as you add more stuff. So no days of reading manuals, it acts exactly like a real machine except you don't need to mess around building hardware. As a training tool it's fantastic.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  10. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

I jumped in at the deep end and just started playing - but I can not remember the last time I read a manual before playing with the new toy... never been one for doing that. :P

The demo is good, so get that and try!

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

WOW !!! I'm impressed !

OK, Phil, where do I sign .... ?

EDIT: Woops, must have posted at the same time, kelton - that looked like I ws being sarcastic about your post - not the case, mate :oops:

12. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

Hey Im cool. :beatnik

Not easily offended here!

13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I have 1GB of RAM also.It runs ok.

I have at present 4 VM's.Two servers and two clients.I practice my network with a server and a client.

I use one of the servers and clients as a practice setup, just seeing if things work and what effect actions have.
    I use the other client and server as a network which I document and am very precise with.

So VM helps because I can keep my practising and messing around on one setup and have my main project lab on another setup, thus my leftover debris from experimentation doesn't interfere with my project lab.

And when I need to add another server I will just create a VM and hook it up to the virtual switch and then configure it on my network.

14. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Positive spin: It IS an extremely versatile and powerful piece of software - memory issues aside, I'm very impressed with it and how closely it emulates a real machine. I especially like the BIOS they have included in it, thats such a nice touch!

For my 2p worth, Gav, I would say it's definitely something you can just play with 'out of the box' - it's not complicated at all (even I can use it!)
    The only thing you need great knowledge of is the OS of your choice that you install. And thats how it should be - I take me hat off to the programmers.

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks for that - I'll look into it for sure ... :)