VM ware team problem: Internet access from server 2003 LAN

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by kensaundm31, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It doesn't make much sense what you are doing or trying to do.

Your default gateway for any computer, server or otherwise that wants to access the internet is your *router* 192.168.1.1 as that is the gateway to other networks.. ie the Internet.

As all of your nics are in the same subnet. Assuming you are using the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Ok so Zeb mentioned you have publicised your public IP address and has told you that that is asking to be hacked and now you have turned off all your firewalls. Um *facepalms :eek:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Fella - what's the obsession with RRAS? This is how your network should look:

[​IMG]

I did it in MS Paint because it was pointless doing something so simple in Visio.

Let your router handle the NAT to the outside world, configure your internal server vm with DNS for AD and forwarders pointing to your ISP's DNS, OpenDNS or whatever public DNS servers you have access to. Assign whatever internal IP ranges you want (provided they're in the same subnet as the LAN side of your router). Make sure you use bridged networking in VMWare instead of NAT.

Robert's your Father's Brother - a network that works.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. kensaundm31

kensaundm31 Bit Poster

I see what your saying about doing it simple. But I need to learn all aspects of 2003 like rras so I want to make the virtual network seperate from the physical. I will probably make a dmz zone with another router as well, Ill even make another subnet with another server.

I just though it was weird how i could connect to the internet but not be able to ping my router!

Oh, I did delete the pics with my ip address but one of them is stil there, but there is no edit button on this forum. Anyway ive got the router protection and malware web blocker, I only diabled the host firewall temporarilly.

Cheers.

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think i have removed the entrails for you now :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. kensaundm31

kensaundm31 Bit Poster

thanks. :thumbleft