VM newby

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by stuPeas, Oct 1, 2007.

1. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I will be starting the Server Administration module of my course shortly. The problem I have is that I don't seem to be able to learn this kind of thing from books. If its possible, could someone please outline how I go about setting up a Virtual Network using the Microsoft virtual machine software. My PC is an Athlon XP 1.8gig, with 1 gig ram.

I know absolutely nothing about VM's, I'm not sure I even understand the principles behind it.
    Questions I need answering include: Where do I get the server software from (for free as I'm not working).

Installation and setup instructions of both the VM software and OS's would also be great.

All in all, it sounds like I'm asking for a complete tutorial. I know that I would not be the only person to benefit from this though, so if some highly Intelligent and kind soul would step up to the mark I would be eternally grateful.

BTW, the manual I'm using assumes a Win2000 server and XP clients.

Thanks in advance Guys/Gals. :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I would recommend getting the VMWare virtual server from here.

Personally I think it's a lot better than the MS virtual pc but you can get it from here.

If you were to go the MS way then Virtual PC 2007 would probably be better than the server version for you. here.

Once you get one of them set up then let us know and we can get something organised.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685