VM Newbie

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by spuddy1, Mar 7, 2007.

1. spuddy1

spuddy1 Bit Poster

Hi all,

Sorry to start a new thread. Ok i have one PC and plan to have the Host and 3 or 4 guests. Am i right in saying if i use Host networking that the guests will only be able to see the host and not each other.?

Im wanting to create a virtual network, on just one PC, were all the guests and host can clearly communicate.

I could easily set up a network from scratch if i had the physical box's, but this VMware is a different ball game.

I have Windows 2003 on the Host, and plan to have another server and a couple of clients as guests. Ive had a look at the diagrams and search the forum but still its a little hazy.

Any help would be grateful.

Jon

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

No, host networking means that they will only be able to communicate with the host and any other VM that runs on the host. they won't be able to go beyond the host to the internet.

8)

3. spuddy1

spuddy1 Bit Poster

Thanks alot.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Glad to have been of assistance!

Do you already have VMWare? If not, although its not nearly as advanced ad VMWare I'd suggest getting hold of MS Virtual PC since its free to download. 8)

5. spuddy1

spuddy1 Bit Poster

Thanks again, yes have VMware 5, one more question(im sure there will be more) do i have to use VMware DHCP using host networking, can i not use Windows Dhcp?

Thanks for your patience

Jon

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Not sure about that one since I don't use VMware.

At work I use MS Virtual PC 2004 and at home I use Parallels for Mac.

Someone who can answer that will probably be along shortly. 8)

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Hi

Nice blog by the way ;)

No its not necassary to run Dhcp from Vmware, go to Edit/Virtual Networking/Dhcp and switch it off you can then use your 2003 server for Dhcp.

Steve

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna