VM Fusion Vs Parallells

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Gingerdave, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Hi All

I saw this one linked Lifehacker on and is a very in depth look at which virtualisation suite gives the best performance.

Mactech Head to Head

Now without giving away the results one much quicker then the other so my questions are:

1) Would this make you switch to the faster suite if you do not run it already?
    2) Why do you think there is a such a big difference?
    3) Which one do you use and why?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

1 - Probably not
    2 - Experience with Mac's - Parallels have been doing Mac Virtualisation for a lot longer than VMWare.
    3 - Both, occasionally. Although at the minute I tend to prefer Parallels (Only running version 3 at home though) no real reason really, i do support both at work.

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

1) Nope

2) Not sure I agree with SGUK, Fusion beat the pants off parallels when it was first released, its only some of the later parallels releases that have caught up, highlighting the fact that the mac piece means very little (host OS doesnt have a whole lot to do with it, its still an Intel proc and chipset down below), possibly just tweaks and greater understanding in this new version, I imagine Fusion 3 will change the tables again, each to their own

3) I use Fusion, I'm a VMWare VAC partner and all around virtualization player, VMWare are 'the senior service' in the virtualization of x86, and I stick by them unless I see significant benefits, I don't buy most 'benchmarks' or 'bakeoffs' especially as most of them are paid for by participating vendors, can you say bias?

I'd really like to see something like Workstation 6.5 for MAC, with the cool techy features like teaming, play back, etc, Fusion seems very much a consumer product, but i'm not sure how that will change being a mac is deemed a consumer electronics product

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

A lot of readers of lifehacker disagree with this article i am one of them fusion way out performs parallels in my experiance.

lifehacker is turning into a dump site recently, its either just a load of write-ups about post from other sites or user generated content resulting from its vote posts/polls.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots