vm cluster

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by hippy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Hello, been a while since i have posted considering the red text at the top of the page :oops:

Does anyone have any good links for information about using vm clusters on one server and have it replicate on to another live server in case the first server goes down?

edit: How can i change my member name?

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You're looking for Vmotion

That link should give you a wealth of information, and provide you with sources of further information

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Thank you zeb :)

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think you need to PM SimonV for that :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Actually vMotion will not fail over a server in the event of a physical failure
    in fact vMotion is generally a manual intervention

There seems to be a bit of mix up in terminology here
    what do you mean by VM Cluster?

do you mean a Microsoft Cluster running atop a VMware box? or a pool of ESX Hosts?

the former is a viable option and there are plenty of posts about it, NLB clusters can however cause issues

ESX Clusters use a combination of technology to provide resilience and load balancing

vMotion is the core technology, this is used to manually move live systems between ESX hosts so that individual hosts can be taken down for maintenance

VMWare HA is used to automatically restart guest servers if a host goes down, HA clusters are groups of ESX servers with spare capacity and shared storage
    this allows the remaining hosts to restart guests that were on the failed host
    hope that helps

VMWare DRS dynamically load balances guests on live running ESX hosts for the purposes of load balances and workload optimization

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0