VLAN's and management

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by The Editor, Aug 1, 2011.

1. The Editor

The Editor Bit Poster

So I'm playing around with VLANs tonight and came across something where I'm not sure what to do. I think I know the answer but I want to make sure.

Scenario.

Hosts connected to my master 2950. All in VLAN 50. All accessible. No problems there. Ip of master switch is 192.168.2.200 . This is in the default VLAN 1 .. So the minute I put all my hosts in VLAN 50 I lost telnet to that switch due to it being in a different VLAN. That makes sense.

I'm consoled into my first breakout switch (192.168.2.201) so I can still get to it that way. But from a management perspective what is the correct way to do this?

If my VLAN 50 includes my main workstation and I would still like to be able to access all these from telnet then I must do inter vlan routing correct? I mean in a production environment having access to these switches is sort of a must and a console connection is not guaranteed. I'm going to make the assumption that in any production environment you rarely see VLAN's without inter VLAN routing...

I'm hoping that made sense.

Thanks
    Bruce

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, maybe CCNA SEC
  2. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Yeah, Intervlan routing is the way forward.......

How To Configure InterVLAN Routing on Layer 3 Switches - Cisco Systems

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)