VLAN on a router with a 4port switch???

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by albertc30, Jan 13, 2010.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.
    I have got to a situation that is puzzling me.
    I have done, in the past, VLANs.
    Create the VLANs and assign which ports you want to belong to which VLANs.
    Then you have the trunk port if you want to have routing between networks. Easy.
    But how do you do this when your switch (4Port Switch card) is part of a modular Cisco router such as the 1721?
    In a similar scenario I have the same configuration but the switch is connected to the router and those two ports setup as trunks.
    I have been over and over about this one and I must say, I am intrigued and as of yet with no answer.
    This is something I want to do here at home with my Cisco 1721 and a Linksys WAP.
    What I want to do is to have the WAP on a separate network. For this I'll use VLAN.
    Any help well appreciated.
    Cheers.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Routing between vlans on integrated switches is straightforward. Create the vlans then assign an ip address, etc. to the vlan interface (SVI) and you are good to go. Like other interfaces you'll see connected routes in the routing table for the vlans.

Spice_Weasel

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  3. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Now that really makes me hate myself man.
    It makes absolutely sense.
    So no trunking needed.
    I have got an ADSL module that is my connection to the internet.
    All I have to do is allow this new network on my ACL to allow it out to the internet, in other words NAT.
    Cheers mate.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+