vlan configuration

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by durairaj29, Sep 17, 2007.

1. durairaj29

durairaj29 New Member

hi,
    i am doing ccna, iam decided to give exam before november, iam still now iam really confused vlan configuration
    pls i need assistane from the expert

2. ciscopaul

ciscopaul Bit Poster

Hi,

I can see several posts from you. If you want to get some relevant replies I suggest:

1. State the specific problem you have with the topic. If you can tell us exactly which area of the subject you are stuck on we can give you specific advice.

2. State what research you have done yourself. We want to know you have done some research yourself and don't want the who subject area taught from scratch.

Thanks

3. durairaj29

durairaj29 New Member

i have just sended the attachment file of my vlan config file, i was able to encapsulate the interface, but iam not able to ping the inter-vlan connection, pls hel

Attached Files:

• raj.doc
      File size:
      79.5 KB
      Views:
  4. durairaj29

durairaj29 New Member

this is switch config file, pls i need assistance from the expert & i need some information about the "switchport mode access" command "switchport mode trunk" command & when we want to exactly use the following command, its might be a silly doubt but don't harsh on me,
    & my 2nd doubt is
    whenever we are using two switches one has to be as a server, one has to be clint & one has to be in transparant mode,
    my concern is at that time how this "swithchport mode access" & "Switchport mode trunk" is used in vtp server mode

5. ciscopaul

ciscopaul Bit Poster

Hi,

The output is from a Boson sim! I have never used it but I am guessing it comes with a configuration guide and walkthough labs for you to follow.

The output you sent is from the router I am guessing. I think you need to look at the sim documentation and also the Cisco configuration guide from Cisco.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_configuration_examples_list.html

This has all the configuration examples you need.

Best of luck.

Paul

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Paul's right. Read through the Boson documentation and Cisco's online documentation. Also make use of study guides from Cisco Press and/or Sybex, if you have them.

You are somewhat confusing VTP and VLAN trunking. VTP doesn't have to be used.

Further, you don't need a VTP server and a VTP client and a VTP transparent mode switch. You can have all transparent mode switches, which means VTP is effectively disabled (which is fine, if you want to configure all your switches manually). You can have NO transparent mode switches. You can have all server mode switches. You need to read up on what the three modes actually do.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!