Vista

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by AJ, Oct 24, 2007.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Now you know why Vista is a must

:biggrin :eek:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Jay Kimble has answered the 100 reasons why vista, see here :)

But according to MS, that's 90 more reasons to pick Vista over XP, see here :biggrin

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There's a very good article in this month's PC pro magazine.
    It puts XP up against Vista in a bench test covering all the 'main' areas.

Vista wins, but this was only due to a crushing victory in the 'bundled extras' category, because XP doesn't have any other than minesweeper and paint.

In terms of business usage and networking etc, XP was nearly impossible to beat.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Last night, I did my once-every-12-to-18-month reinstall, and had the option to install either XP Professional or Vista Ultimate. I chose XP.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have to admit that when I got my new PC at work I was given the opportunity of Vista or XP and I picked XP. I would rather have a PC that run's XP well than a PC that run's Vista ok. 8)

However as time moves on and support improves for Vista it may well become my main work OS.*

*OS X is my main home OS.

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I was looking at Laptops for someone the other day and was amused to see "this laptop is shipped with Vista, although has the option of being restored to Windows XP" :p

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Shouldn't this post be in "just for laughs"? Windows Media Centre is mentioned 4 times in the first 20 reasons, parental control twice, as is fishing control.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, I agree. Eventually, I will move on to Vista, both at home and at work. Right now, there's simply no compelling reason for me to do so.

When Windows XP first came out, I was hesitant to switch from Windows 98. After all, I didn't want gaming performance to suffer. When reviews came out stating that game performance actually improved on WinXP, I decided to switch, since driver compatibility was quite good. Sadly, the same cannot be said for Vista. Comparison tests between Vista and XP show that gaming performance decreases slightly, and the driver support for Vista is not where I think it needs to be.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I wont bother with Vista untill at least service pack 1 comes out for it plus I will need to upgrade my machine first.

And add to that I want to dual boot with XP in case of any vista meltdowns.

But I still need to find a full retail version of XP pro as I am guessing if I have xp pro OEM and then a full retail version of vista it wont work, but I could be wrong.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

There is currently a big rant going on with the anti Microsoft bashers. To be honest when XP first came out it had similar issues and was rectified with SP1 and later SP2.

I think the same would probably apply to Vista two, although there currently some genuine concerns its being looked after and not brushed aside by MS. Lastly, with Microsoft being the way they are a lot of us would not be in IT as a career today. Like it or not Microsoft and its software is keeping me and a lot more other people in a Job today:biggrin

I don't work for Microsoft either, but those that would learn the Microsoft products and way would be in IT the longer. Nuff said:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

My experience of Vista has be somewhat mixed. It certainly looks the part but underneath I struggle to see where the years of research and development went.

I particularly like the complete system backup, although I was annoyed that this feature only made it into the Ultimate Edition. Surely this is a basic feature these days?

Picture and file management has seen some improvements, but again nothing that would make me spend cash. On the whole I don't think Vista is a compelling reason to migrate from Windows XP, especially given the pricing at present.

12. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

I have been around since CPM / DOS times but I quite like Vista. 8)

I put it on my work PC since I was upgrading my MCDST to the Vista version.
    That was about a month ago & it's still on there!
    Some thoughtful features for the unskilled user.

Can't help feeling how Mac ish it is though:eek:

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Personally for home purposes, I use Vista Ultimate and I don't have any problems in regards to playing games or driver compatibility. However for work, I use XP. Because like it's been stated above for networking and business related work I find XP much better then Vista. Hopefully soon the vista bottlenecks will be addressed with the service pack1. Maybe then I'll start using it at work.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I was suspicious of Vista, and prepared to be disappointed.

So far I haven't been, although it is funny how many 'simple' things don't seem to work properly on some software that was fine on XP.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  15. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

i have 3 computers here at the office and 3 at home. at home i run pretty much the same setup as at work, essentially. at work i've got an older desktop running backtrack2, an older laptop running xp, and my spanking new laptop running vista. i couldn't be more happy with vista. i find that typically people who talk down about vista haven't actually given it a shot. i haven't heard anyone here actually downing vista, just giving true life reasonable reasons for choosing xp over vista for the time being. i must say i do like messing around with backtrack as it is a fun "hacker" / security tool.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP