Vista Vouchers!

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrNice, Nov 3, 2006.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hey dudes,

What are everyones opinions on the PC manufacturer upgrade program they all appear to be running. I am talking about buy an XP machine now and get a copy of vista sent out in January 07.

I understand this is due to the pressure Dell etc have put on Microsoft for failing to have vista launched in time for xmas, but is this really the answer?

I for one am looking forward to plenty of "homers" from this disaster waiting to happen. In my experience your average pre-built PC user does not have the ability to install an O/S. Most of them struggle to install a USB digital camera!

While I agree XP was a relatively simple install I still have had to do it for countless users, and thats when everything goes to plan. What about all the drivers that also need to be updated to be compatabile with vista, not to mention the software that "dont work anymore"

I for one am looking forward to a happy new year!

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

They will likley be sent an OEM copy from thier PC manufacturer which comes with all the auto install support present in the recovery cds (ie plop the cd in and watch the upgrade)

I cant see it being any more of a headache than having to use ur dell recovery CD for isntance :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

yeah the good old recovery cd, I have been to quite a few calls after these have been used to say the least. "where did all my docs go?" "why doesnt my printer work anymore" "why is my system now unbootable" to name but a few,
    well Mr when its in the middle of installation you really should'nt have unplugged it to plug the kettle in now should you.

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Users eh? :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0