Vista uptake by companies... how long?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by G1BB0, Jan 19, 2007.

1. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

just a quickie to see what you guru's (or anyone for that matter) think will be the timescale before vista becomes commonplace as companies o/s of choice, the reason being where we support has only just rolled out xp (2500 users lol)

I assume most wont jump for 2-3 years unless ms works out a way of making xp semi obsolete, hell we still have a few machines that use win98!!!!

only reason I ask is I am contemplating maybe doing vista alongside my ccna (obviously ccna taking preference but hey the more the merrier lol)

this gives me a 12 month timescale to get the ccna and maybe a vista exam or 2 along the way... but if it aint going to be required for 2-3 years then i may aswell carry on with the 70-270 and so forth instead

thoughts please..............

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Probably not going to roll it out here until at least summer 2008, and thats only if we have the Hardware that will support it.

We may have a 'few' computers running it before then though. but full scale deployment probably wont be until at least then.

3. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

I agree with Simon.

There are many factors to think about when a deploying a new O/S in a large corporate estate. From using VISTA RC2 (corp sneek peek) It needs a pretty good PC to run it smoothly.

Vista has a reating system from 0 to 5 and it rates the different areas of your systems performance. My brand new IBM T43 laptop with 512Mb PC2700 ram and 128Mb graphics (pretty good for laptop) only scored 2.1.

I think the idea is to have these ratings dispalyed on games and software so you only purchase software that your system can run without killing your PC.

Vista from my testing pretty much needs 512Mb of RAM to run smoothly. Not many of my companies PC's are up to that level.

I would expect to start testing builds for this by the end of the year after the reaction of the market is gauged.

I agree and expect to see Vista phased in on new PC's early to mid 2008.

Can't wait to see how it works with a 2003 native AD design. (Although at home I couldn't get my lab 2003 domain to load my roamingprofile on Vista) Then again it is only RC2 so wait and see I suppose.

I must say though it looks pretty slick.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's what we're going to do most likely :) approx 85% of our PC's will not support vista smoothly and some of our software will not run on Vista properly either :(

Good news though, we (the IT dept) are running vista on our laptops :biggrin

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

We won't upgrade any existing PCs to Vista, and we will continue to purchase XP for the near future. Once all our apps have been tested on Vista, we will begin to purchase computers with Vista installed, and we will phase out the remainder of our Windows 2000 boxes along with our oldest WinXP boxes.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Like most schools we will not upgrade yet even though through the M$ schools agreement we are entitled to it. I think there will be an Office upgrade but not this side of easter and then it's exams.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I was thinking of confusing the hell out of them and doing both Vista and Office 2007 at the same time! :twisted:

8. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

That would cause user meltdown here!!!

lol

I think BBM hit the nail on the head. The key in most corp's are the applications and compatability issues. Lord know's we are running some stone age legacy apps here!! (Really you wouldn't believe me if I told you!)

We managed (just about) to get them working on XP and what we couldn't has been madeavailable through citrix.

Good thing is IT can run (or should I say test) whatever.!! Yay

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  9. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

My work laptop has 512 and XP. As it is when I load up MS Outlook, CA Spectrum (Java Client), BMC Patrol (Java Client), Remedy, 2 Internet Explorer Windows for AT&T Business Direct, Microsoft Communicator, Ping utility, and possibly MS Visio Map..my PC starts to crawl. I can't imagine it on Vista.

I would think for most larger companies they will phase in Vista as PC Leases are renewed. However I bet you won't see it for quite some time in most large companies. It was only a 2 years ago that we fully rolled out XP (or less).

Maybe latter part of 2008. User issues will be huge just from a learning curve aspect.

I think BBM is right on with his assessment.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

well here we are just starting out the final paperwork phase of our xp rollout! we've got about 6000 pc's to roll it out onto and 200 customised/inhouse written apps to test it with, we're done with the testing phase now. so vista will be at least 5-7 years away for us. I think with any company unless there is a valid business case to upgrade the OS then theres no point.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Talk about a total brainfart

No office 2007 until the've sorted out office 97 :eek::eek:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. BosonMichael

Holy crap! You have to have all that stuff going simultaneously to function? :o

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

think that pretty much confirmed my thoughts

still debating whether to buy it for my home pc so to roll out in a corporate environment... sod that

will just crack on with the current stuff lol, at least theres plenty of reference material available :D

14. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Tried the RC2 release on a P4 2.8Ghz 512mb Ram laptop and it was ok speed wise but i think if you open up a few apps it would crawl

Cant see many businesses rolling it out due to the cost of the new hardware needed to run it

In saying that how much stripped down is the business edition ?

would it run faster than the home or full blown version ?

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  15. BosonMichael

It's not stripped down to less than the home version. And it's not stripped down that much... they just have certain features disabled and applications made unavailable. I'd guess that it's not any faster than any other Vista version.

16. GW

GW Byte Poster

I just got a copy of MS Vista Business with my Tech Net Plus subscription and I'm going to test it on one of the common computers we use at work but with some of the apps that we run at the company I doubt we will be upgrading to Vista for several years.

I think Office 2007 will get rolled out first since that shouldn't be as much of a resource hog as Vista appears to be.

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  17. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

its funny how just as companies IT hardware comfortably meets the current os criteria for max performance a new bugger appears

maybe ms etc should release them once the current one is 'out of date' rather than say sod it lets release something 90% of peeps wont or cant run

18. BosonMichael

In Microsoft's defense, it's been more than *5 years* since a consumer-based OS has been released. Most people buy cars more often than that (I don't... but most do).

19. GW

GW Byte Poster

Companies tend to be slow rolling out new operating systems to the desktop and the servers, not only because of the cost involved but many companies run custom applications or older software that would have to be fully tested on the new operating system to make sure that they will run with no problems.

For the company that I work for we have multiple web servers that run custom "games" and such that will not work on Windows 2003, they have to be re-written for the new OS so we have tons of Win2K servers.

Also there is the re-training of employees on using the new OS as well as support staff.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA