Vista to XP through C$

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fergal1982, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Got a weird problem with Vista, and was wondering if anyone else had encountered this or knows how to deal with it.

Firstly background - I've got a Vista Ultimate x64 machine, and 2 XP Pro machines (not x64). Currently connected using a workgroup.

If i use the C$ to connect to the Vista machine from the XP machines, I get the password prompt as expected. I can then enter my Vista login details and connect as normal.

However, if I try the same from the Vista machine to the XP, it just keeps asking for the password. I'm using my user details from the XP machine but its having none of it.

After entering the user details using either username or XPcomputer/username, when the password prompt comes back, the username field actually has VistaComputer/Username. Even removing/replacing this and trying again has no effect.

Its worth noting that the username is the same on both machines, indeed they both even have the same password. I havent tried setting up an account on the XP machine that doesnt exist on the Vista machine, but I'll try that when I get home tonight.

Anyone have any ideas? Its a pain in the A*se when im trying to pass files across as I have to log onto the XP machine.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

why are you trying to pass files are c$ ? isn't it easier to pass over the usual way \\server\share? I know c$ s similar, but i have found this way is more "awkward" like the problem you are having...

3. Fergal1982

umm... Im not sure i understand where you are coming from. c$ is a share. i use \\xpcomputer\c$

c$ is just a hidden share (hence the $). all that should happen using a workgroup is that the remote machine will ask for a username and password, you enter credentials for the remote machine and it lets you through ok. it works perfectly for my XP machines, and even works perfectly from xp to vista. But from vista to xp, no go!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Fergal,

Have you just set this up, or has it stopped working?

Can you ping the XP machines from the Vista one? Do you mean machine name\username ?

I will try this with Vista > XP and report back.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Fergal1982

Boyce, Its actually been like this since I installed Vista, just havent got around to posting.

and yes, I mean machinename\username - damn slashes not going the way i want them to.

I can ping the xp machine from vista fine - can even see it on the network. I even get a response with a password prompt when I try to C$, it just doesnt accept my password.