Vista stuff

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Jun 16, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK people, this is a fault of my own doing

I put Vista ultimate on my laptop and i was really meant to only have home premium, but i ignored the register windows bit until now. and it only lets me on the computer with reduced fuctionality. What i want to do is re format again, but i have some music files on there that id like to burn to cd then format and start again etc. Ive got a fedora live cd at thement running , which is why im on here, but i cant swap the music over via drag and drop transfer.

I also know i have xp on set up on another partition but i cant update that as it wont let me connect to the internet to verify, again what id of done is drag all the files to that part of the disc and then format etc??

Has anyone got any ideas

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I take it that you didn't install SP1 for Vista? As that actually got rid of the reduced fuctionality mode. Anyway, see here for how to install SP1 for Vista in reduced mode.

Hope this helps :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

If you have access to another machine and can get the hard drive out of the laptop, then you can use one of these :

http://www.lindy.co.uk/31-2-to-21-2-ide-hdd-adapter/70189.html

to connect it to an external drive caddy. Connect the caddy to the other pc and you should be able to browse the drive and move the data. I have done this successfully before for customers. Sometimes you may have to take ownership of the files in order to transfer them.

Having got off what you wnat you can refit the hard drive and reformat/reinstall as required.

Hope it helps !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)