Vista SP1

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

For those of you so inclined, Vista SP1 just popped up on my Windows Update app.

121.5MB (for x64 at least)

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I got SP1 off Windows update a few weeks back (via a registry hack). I have not noticed any difference to be honest.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

i've just got it, it says 66.9mb on mine. just before i downloaded it, it said between 66.9 and 450mb. I reckon the size depends on what updates you have already installed.

I installed a copy from softpedia and didn't really notice an difference but uninstalled it because in the bottom left of my screen in small letters it said evaluation copy.

WIP: A+
  4. David S

David S Bit Poster

Computer shopper magazine have an offer for all readers of the latest issue 243, and Vista SP1 will be delivered to your door free of charge when microsoft produces the discs.
    David

5. Fergal1982

pfft. thats a pretty crap 'offer' to be honest. the computer mags almost always package the SP discs with their mags when they are released. I remember getting four or five discs when XP SP1 was released.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. David S

David S Bit Poster

True, it's not the best offer ever, but it will be handy for those people on low bandwidths as the download can be quite hefty. All the other mags will include it on DVD I'm sure but this is the only one offering it just now. (as far as I know)

7. Fergal1982

Damn, I had no end of troubles with Vista this weekend, getting SP1 installed. Every time I tried to install (either via WU or by downloaded file), It borked at 4% stage 1, with an 80070002 error.

Turns out that it was an issue with file corruption on the files, in the end I performed an inplace upgrade using the OEM disc, and this resolved the issue... Just in time to head to bed.

8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

SP1 didn't live up to expectations here :( , back to the drawing board for this pink elephant

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Absolutely no difference to my machine at work. Update delivered via WSUS without any problems, installed relatively easily too (took about 35 minutes)

However, the main complaints I had about Vista (all related to networking) haven't been addressed - it still takes ridiculously long to copy a file of any size beyond about 700Mb across the network (a VM I have on a network share, provisioned by a gb/s link on the file server in question, with my workstation plumbed directly into the core takes more than four times as long to copy across as the same VM from an XP machine. Being the saddo that I am, I timed it before and after applying SP1 - a difference of less than ten seconds.

Still hate it - with a passion.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em