Vista Sh*te says Ballmer

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Not really, but its interesting reading

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/18/ballmer_vista_incomplete/

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hopefully they will learn from the mistakes that have been made and make Windows 7 the OS we want.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Vista has some good points, and some bad. I think a lot of the hostility towards it is non-tech folks jumping on the bandwagon when they don’t know enough to form their own opinion; also peoples resistance to change. True, they could have done more with Vista, but then its only one of many software products released by Microsoft recently. Let’s hope Server 2008 does better, or we’re all screwed!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

One of my concerns is that while XP runs great with hardware X, to run Vista you need 2X, and by the time the next OS is released you're going to need 4X, and push the price of PC's through the roof. HOPEFULLY M$ has seen what has happened with the price of oil, and the resulting price of gas. Something tells me by the time the next OS is released a "bargain price" PC is going to be a few thousand dollars.

(cheap shot below)

Funny how I've run FOUR previous versions of Linux on the same 1.6 ghz 512 meg ram PC.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  5. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

in my personal opinion theres nothing wrong with xp

its stable, secure and graphically is fine too

i think microsoft just want to make more money by releasing new OS's (which makes sense really as its a business)

however they could have just built on xp and realeased an XP2 or something which is based on an OS with proven stability

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  6. NightWalker

Vista is built on Server 2003, a well tested and stable OS. In my experience Vista does not have any stability issues, more that there is too much stuff in it, and not a very intuitive layout. For example, the place where you go to create a system restore point is in the 'System' console (where you turn system restore on and off). If you want to restore you have to open the ‘System Restore’ console. Why the two options are not in the same place... who knows (they were in XP!)

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Have you not been watching the PC market at all then? PC's are cheaper and more powerful than they have ever been before and they keep getting cheaper. I agree that Vista needs more power run and uses more resources than XP or whatever flavour of Linux you care to run, but it's possible to pick up a dual core PC with a couple of gigs of ram for about £300 quid that Vista would fly on ...

As for needing 4X to run the next windows as you put it. I would reckon by that time we will be up to 10X at least in terms of power and it will cost less or the same as an entry level PC does now.

Here is an example of a PC that I was talking about. Oh and we have bought a few of these Acer PC's at work and they are really nice. They don't feel cheap and nasty even though they are cheap.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/138613

£299

Intel Core2Duo Processor
    2GB Ram
    250GB Hdd
    DVD-RW
    Vista Home Premium
    * 18-in-1memory card reader for Sony® Memory Stick, Memory Stick PROTM, CompactFlashTM Type I, CompactFlashTM Type II, SmartMedia (SM), Secure Digital (SD), MultiMediaCard (MMC) and xD Card. (plus 1 x USB port)
    * Audio connections: Six audio jacks 7.1 channel support (rear), Lin Out - MIC In (front)
    * 10/100/1000 Network Connection
    * 6 USB2 ports with 2 in front
    * PS2/USB Keyboard port, PS2 ball/USB Optical Mouse port, Parallel Port.
    * 1 Firewire 1394 port

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

You must not be a gamer. :twisted:

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I am actually, and I'm into speccing up gaming machines etc.. That's not actually what this was about though. We are at a point in time when seriously quick GFX card prices have dropped through the floor.

Add an extra hundred pound (200 dollars) and you could easily have a very capable gaming rig. The 8800Gt is now available for £110 in the UK, which is a card capable of near 8800GTX performance for an incredibly low price.

If you want me to put my money where my mouth is, say the word and I'll put together a spec for next to nothing that would score over 10k in 3dMark06.

edit: I just specced the following system for £305.82, that includes delivery.

Foxconn A6VMX AMD 690V Socket AM2 onboard VGA 6 channel audio mATX Motherboard
    Inno3D 9600GT 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Socket AM2 (2.5GHz) L2 Cache 1MB OEM Processor
    OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC with LIFETIME WARRANTY
    Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500GB SATAII Hard Drive 16MB Cache - OEM
    EzCool N630 Black/Silver Mid Tower Case with 500W PSU
    LiteOn DH-20A4P-21C 20X DVD±RW/DL/RAM Black Bare Drive - OEM
    Speeze KestrelKing VII Socket 754 / 939 / 940 Processor Cooler

Would be even cheaper if I was upgrading just the internals in a PC. Still not getting your point about the price of PC's being scary in the future ... I know the price of oil will have some bearing on future PC prices, and yes it is getting more expensive at the moment, but the next version of Windows is due in 2010 iirc. Do you really expect the price of a basic PC to be thousands of dollars by then? If it is, I doubt we will be worrying about what OS to chose. I think we will be worrying about when WW3 is going to kick off.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. NightWalker

Vista needs more resources and more hardware to run, so what! Is this a bad thing, can you use it as a reason to justify how bad Vista is? Let’s take Playstations as an analogy. So the latest PS3 game requires an 8 core processor to run and high capacity blue ray storage to get the game onto a single disk. There is no way that would run on a PS1, which is half as powerful or less. It’s just progress, so what that Vista needs more RAM and a better CPU, as stated by Modey high spec PCs are cheap as chips these days. Most people who pitch up in PC World and get sold £800 worth of machine are never going to utilise half its capacity, even running Vista. I can send email and surf the net on a 600Mhz Pentium 3...

11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

agreed. Besides, the average user is only really likely to upgrade the OS when they buy a new PC anyway. Its unlikely that most of them will bother on an existing PC. Its only techie people like ourselves who try to put the new OS on our system which is several years old.

Hell, even them I'm unlikely to upgrade myself until I'm buying a new PC. my lappy will never have vista on it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I built my Core2Duo box for $1200 over 18 months ago, and it's still running strong, even playing new games. Even taking the technology of the generation into account, dollar-for-dollar, it beats the heck out of the $2500 P75 box I bought 14 years ago!!!

I can just imagine what kind of a glorious box I could build if I had $1200 to spend all over again!!! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!