Vista problem - Could not copy file . . .

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raffaz, May 19, 2009.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Alreet,

Im having a problem with vist, just wondering if any of you know what it could be.

Ive basically got 7gb worth of amiga games that im copying over to an external HDD (114gb free) via USB. Ive got this connected to my main PC, and its managed to complete upto folder V, but then its coming up with "item not found, could not find this item, this is no longer located in g:\amiga, verify items location and try again.
    Ive confirmed that the items are there and i can still run them fine.
    I also have these on my RAID array and im getting the same issue there aswell.
    Has anyone got any ideas on what could be causing this?

Cheers

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Raffaz

Just tried copying to another drive and it worked fine, so its something to do with external drive by the looks of it, Its a fairly new drive that i took out of my macbook when i upgraded HDD in there, any ideas on this?

3. Raffaz

Ah well, never mind ive got them to copy over. I restarted the external HDD. Id still be interested into any reasons this happened, it has happened before aswell. Cheers

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Is the USB drive getting enough power? I have an external drive that works fine on 1 machine, but work sporadically on another due to not enough power via USB?

Maybe that'll help?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, seen that a few times myself.

Is there another free USB port you could use? One on the mobo perhaps?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Raffaz

Ive tried on 2 PCs and get same result on both of them
    HDD is already connected to USB port on I/O panel, and ive tried a different one aswell.

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sometimes when this happens to me I've found that it was a permissions problem.

Can you create a new folder on the usb drive, copy the files in there and try again?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Raffaz

Il give this a go if the problem happens again, its a bit weird that it worked ok after i powercycled the HDD though.