Vista piracy the least of Microsoft's problems

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Dec 6, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Vista piracy the least of Microsoft's problems

ITWire.com isn't exactly a "friend" to Microsoft so you'd expect an article of this nature from them. On the other hand, the content is disturbing enough that it deserves a closer look. -Trip

Like thousands of other media commentators around the world, in January this year I attended the offical Microsoft launch of Windows Vista. In my show bag of goodies, among the press releases, I found shiny new boxed copies of the Ultimate versions of Vista and Office 2007. Since I didn't have a computer at the time that could run Vista, I loaned my copy to iTWire blogger Sam Varghese for a review. What happened next is most interesting. Like all dutiful reviewers, Sam did the right thing when he installed this brand new boxed copy of Vista. He registered and activated the copy. After he finished his review, he uninstalled his copy and returned it to me. A couple of months ago, I decided to upgrade my hardware and I bought a very high spec box that was capable of running just about anything. I installed Vista and Ubuntu in a dual boot configuration. Shortly after installing Vista, I received messages about having 30 days and counting down left to activate my copy of Vista...

It gets more interesting from there. Read the rest at ITWire.com.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      Absolute pish! I have reinstalled my copy of Vista on no less than four occassions since getting it earlier this year (mostly caused by hardware issues I might add). On each occassion beyond the first, I will agree that I have had to call MS directly, and speak to a rep in order to reactivate it. To that end they are correct. However, the "third degree" the author complains about it not representative of the process.

On each occassion, my conversation went something like this:

Tech: Whats the code from the first x groups
      Me: xxx xxx xxx
      Tech: Did you buy this copy separately, or did it come with the PC?
      ME: I bought the OEM separately to install onto a homebuilt machine.
      Tech: How many machines, besides this one, do you have this copy of Windows installed on?
      Me: None
      Tech: Whats the reason for the reactivation
      Me: Reinstallation due to hardware failure.
      Tech: Thank you, your activation code is xxx xxx xxx...

Job done! Thats it. Perhaps the author (obviously anti-MS), should take the time to research the typical calls to MS activation, before shooting his mouth off.
    2. hbroomhall
      hbroomhall
      In addition - the same thing often happens with XP.

While I am not a great fan of Microsoft I don't think this article is anything other than a misplaced rant! :p

(This is not a criticism of you Trip - always good to know what is being written in various places.)

Harry.
    3. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Thanks, Harry. Just to confirm, I post news articles because I think they'll be of general interest but not always because I'm advocating the point of view of the article's author.
    4. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      What Fergal and Harry said... this is no different than XP's mechanisms. The reviewer doesn't have much of a clue.
    5. Sparky
      Sparky
      As Fergal said, phone MS and get a code, no big deal! 8)

If the first guy was just testing the software then why bother activating it? :blink
    6. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      Agreed. Wasn't implying you were the culprit, just the author of the original article. :biggrin
    7. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Actually I think it is a big deal, how many wasted man hours will there be with techs on the end of AVR systems for hours on end ?

Meanwhile Linux, Mac, etc users will be getting the job done...
    8. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      No-one said it wasnt a big deal. We are saying its standard/ no different to XP. Additionally, we are saying that the Author is misrepresenting the process, based on a single call to the line.
    9. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Ok so they are fairly helpful in general, but seriously since when should an OS install mandate several support calls ? So the XP process was horrible too, is that a valid excuse ?
    10. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Dude... it's *really* not as difficult as you're making it out to be. :D
    11. Sparky
      Sparky
      Don’t really see what the problem is here. Guy phones MS and gets a code, software works, happy days.

No? :blink
    12. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      I guess the point is, why in the world should anyone have to phone in when installing a legit copy of Vista or XP? It's just another aggravation brought on by MS's arrogance and lack of respect for its own customers.

It hasn't stopped piracy. It's just like DRM in music and movies. It's a hoop legit people have to jump through that the real pirates laugh at and does little to no good in stopping piracy. Anyone can argue all they want for it, but the fact remains, it simply doesn't work, and the only people "punished" are the good guys.

It's just plain stupid. It's like a stupid government regulation that doesn't work, never will, but everyone has to do because an idiotic bureaucrat somewhere decided everyone should have to follow the regulation.

It reminds me of one of the safety regulations we had when I was working in the sawmills back in the early 70's. There was a regulation that anyone working the chipper had to be tied off with a rope to keep them from falling into the chipper if they got knocked out. Well, the tie point for rope had to be 10 feet away from the chipper, and the rope had to be 20 feet long. IOW's you would have passed through the chipper along with 10 feet of rope before the rope would have ever become taut. It was stupid, senseless, could never work, yet it was a $20,000 fine if you got caught without being tied off with the rope when working near the mouth of the chipper.

I pointed out exactly how stupid and senseless it all was to the government safety inspector. All he did was get mad enough that his face turned red and threaten to fine us if he caught me without it. That it did absolutely no good, that it couldn't possibly make me safer was of no consequence. It was written, therefore it had to be. Just like WGA.
    13. Sparky
      Sparky
      Actually I’ve audited many companies who still use Windows 2000 and Office 2000, they bought one copy and just installed it on all the PCs because it was easy to do.

You don’t get that with products that need activation and if a company have a large amount of desktops they should really be looking a volume licensing. No need for product activation. 8)
    14. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      And I know of companies still pirating XP so your post is meaningless. WGA hasn't stopped anything. All it has done is make sure people who want to pirate XP don't patch their PC's. WGA isn't going to stop piracy. Go ahead and keep on making your inferential claims that it will, but we both know it won't. It might slow down the technically challenged, but it won't stop anyone who has real computer skills.

Like I said. It only punishes the legit person. They're the ones who have to call MS when they upgrade the mobo's, change their hard drives, graphics cards, etc.... It's like the Vista kill switch. The only reason MS finally backed off on it was because so many innocent people were having their machines shut down. The real pirates just laugh at all this crap and you know it.
    15. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Remove the system key requirement and see how quickly it's pirated by your everyday average user.

Most people don't have "real computer skills". Take away any sort of protection, and the average computer user won't bother to pay for a legit copy.

Not sure why I'm bothering to explain... it's like talking to a wall as far as this topic is concerned. :rolleyes:
    16. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      There is nothing wrong with having to enter a system key when you install software. That's reasonable. WGA is not. If it checked once and then that was it that would be fine. It doesn't. It's a stupid hack and everyone knows it. Like anyone is going to pay for Windows, then take it off and put a pirated copy on their machine. It's just a greedy money grab by MS wanting to define "new PC" by their own terms so they can keep on bleeding people's pockets dry. WGA is rude and arrogant.

Just keep on defending them Michael.
    17. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Not defending them in particular... same would be true for Boson if we didn't have system key protection.
    18. Sparky
      Sparky

Not sure where to start with that comment. I have audited many companies as part of my job, either because I am going to support the companies IT infrastructure or because the company requires an independent IT audit.

The whole product activation part of MS has reduced piracy from what I have seen. Gone are the days where someone would copy Win 2k and put the product key on the CD as a text file. If you want to install a pirated copy then you have to be clever about it. The average user doesn’t know how to do this and when they try then generally end up with a PC infected with a virus.

What is the punishment of a legit person all about? You change a hardware major hardware component of your PC, you phone MS and get another key, big deal. I have worked for smaller software companies that had exactly the same process in place for years before MS implemented it so are they bad guys to or are they just trying product what is rightfully theirs?

The real pirates will always find some way of getting around any copy protection, but product activation has stopped the average user letting everyone else have a copy of his version of Office. 8)
    19. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      In my experience this is very rare, the legal penalties are just too high for most businesses to risk, thats why they pay for the audits to be carried out. There may be a few minor infringements and they are addressed by the audit, thats the whole point. Companies that generally don't care wouldn't have an audit in the first place.

I'm afriad freddy is right, Its complete overkill designed to generate an extra few percent revenue while inconveniencing the user. Volume licensing is for business and still seems to require activation for most products, agreed the private users get hit hardest by this though and they ironically normally pay the highest per license fees due to not having negotiation power.