Vista ON-OFF

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by backpass, Aug 21, 2009.

1. backpass

backpass New Member

Hi everyone, i,m new to this forum & have a problem thats got me baffled.My daughter has a laptop which has Windows Vista. When she switches on vista opens as it should with desktop showing all icons as it should...then icons & taskbar dissapear..seconds later they re appear. This happens 2/3 times then all that is showing is the wallpaper. Any ideas::

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It sounds like the explorer process is crashing and restarting, then crashing.

Go into safe mode and check in *event viewer* under System (if you can use the computer in safe mode).

Running a virus scan / malware scan in safe mode might give you a clue.

Also, a system restore might help.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. simonkn

simonkn Bit Poster

As an XP user with no experience of Vista, i'm only summising...

Could it be as simple as the task bar has been hidden? If the mouse starts off where the task bar SHOULD be, then it will pop up and down a few times and then settle.

Unless you mean the ONLY thing showing is the wallpaper and no icons AT ALL and NO taskbar.... in which case i'm with BlueRinse. explorer.exe should be running in your process list. If not then there's your problem!

Good luck - hate those niggly problems
    SK

4. backpass

backpass New Member

Thanks Bluerinse, have tried running virus scan in safe mode but "unable to run in safe mode" I will look at event viewer

5. backpass

backpass New Member

Thanks Simonkn, it is only wallpaper...going to try Bluerinse's suggestion

6. backpass

backpass New Member

Hi again Bluerinse, can,t even access safe mode anymore. I re-booted from disc..Vista(Home Basic) loaded, even updates (all 89 of them) but as soon as i restarted the same problem, but this time it goes straight to the options "start in safe mode,start windows normally etc etc. then goes through the motions of attempting to start Windows then back to the options screen....baffled. Even tried loading Vista(Home Premium) Same result

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try installing Service Pack 2 for Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

What did you do when you re-booted from the disc? I assume that you put the Vista DVD into the drive and then told the computer to boot from it?

You should have been faced with this picture:

[​IMG]

When you're faced with this picture select "Repair your computer", then it should repair Vista. After it's repaired it should automatically reboot and go into Windows.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

....also can you get into event viewer?

There may be an entry for explorer.exe which will confirm the problem.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. backpass

backpass New Member

Cant even access "safe mode" now Sparky

11. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you can't access safe or normal mode, have you tried the Windows Repair that I suggested?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If you have multiple profiles on the machine.

What happens if you login as yourself?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  13. backpass

backpass New Member

I tried repair but "cannot automatically repair" message came up.Somebody told me hard drive could be damaged!