Vista networking prob

Discussion in 'Networks' started by twizzle, Aug 9, 2006.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Anyone know how to change vistas networking from pppoe to pppoa? I cant get any connectivity on my network at the mo on vista but can in XP. All i canfind is that my router uses PPPoa as its protocol while vista is trying to use PPPOE but have no idea if this is the cause of the problem.
    If i use the network troubleshooter in vista it says all is fine. I have updated the Lan drivers but dont have any for the router (never installed any in XP).

I know its not just IE as Firefox wont connect too, and i cant even log into my routers settinngs using its IP addy.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This is unlikely to be the problem - as the PPPoA will not extend past the router.

But are you setting PPPoE in Vista? If so this is wrong - you should be selecting a normal network connection. The same option is available in XP - but under a slightly different name.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Speedy reply there H.

However, im not setting PPPOe in vista it just happens automatically. Thats the way Vista set it and im not sure how to change it. I have been messing with setting but am getting nowhere.

4. hbroomhall

OK - I've never used Vista so I'm guessing here. There is a similar setting in XP and this needs to be avoided.

I'd remove that connection completely, and set up a new one to connect to a home or small office network (XP wording).

Harry.

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

While on the subject of Vista and networking, in the latest Security now podcast, Steve Gibson says MS have devolped their own networking protocol....

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. hbroomhall

Er - With that particular man I'd think I'd want someone else to confirm what he is saying first.

Spinright and shieldsup may be very useful items, but he has a tendancy to go over the top somewhat, and he has got things well wrong sometimes.

Harry.

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I take it you aren't one of Steve Gibson's best fans then Harry?!
    I am hooked on the Security Now Podcasts, and Spinrite has saved my bacon.

Si

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Amen to that.

Gibson's background in marketing shows in the hype he spouts. For 'the truth' (well, not 'the truth' but certainly a lot less gushing than you'd read about in most places on the net) check this site out.

Especially worth reading is the top link on the page detailing how he managed to convince Microsoft to FUBAR raw sockets - causing consternation amongst 'true' networking geeks.

That said, you can't deny that ShieldsUp! is a reasonably useful resource for the great IT unwashed.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

OOK to get back on topic....

When setting up a new network connection in vista the only options i get are..

Broadband connection requires username and password PPPOE

or

Dial-up connection requireing Username and password...

Now in xp i know i had another option..

Broadband Connect to internet.. this connection is always on and does not require username or password (or summat similar)

And this is the one i selected in Xp.. it does not appear in vista, looks like i have to change my Router to use PPPOe to get a connection...

However when it tries to connect using IP addy to router i get the device wizard come up askin to install the correct device with ssid etc etc.. Never had to do that in XP and there are no Vista drivers for my router,,US robotics sureconnect 9003.

IDEAS????

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Well, that was a big eye opener for me. :eek:
    I thought he really knows his onions and isn't an advertising front.....

Si

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. hbroomhall

I am a fan of his for Spinright and shieldsup. They are really useful items for the general 'net.

I am less enamoured of some of his other writings, and some of them seem to be angled at publicity (= income) rather than strict fact.

While I always listen to what he says - I don't take it as gospel without careful research.

Harry.

13. hbroomhall

Both of these are wrong for your situation. As your situation is the commonest these days (particularly in the UK) then something is missing/wrong. You will need someone familiar with Vista to say what.

It is, of couse, possible that as Vista is Beta you are screwed. This is why I won't bother with it until it ships.
    Actualy - XP has an option "Set up a home or small office network" which does exactly what you want.
    Don't do that - you'll break things.
    SSID is only for WiFi - which you haven't made any mention of.

Harry.

14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Got any screenshots?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  15. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

right so upon further investigating we have...

I can Ping 192.168.1.1 (my router) with no probs...

I can Ping 192.168.1.4 (other pc on lan) no probs...

I can ping www.yahoo.com no probs....

If i open IE7 in vista i cannot access the router on hhtp:\\192.168.1.1......

I cannot get any web sites to load by web address.... except for 2. www.google.co.uk and www.plaync.com both seem to load up while no other web addresses i use do.

Now i've disabled the IPV6 that vista tries to use in case it was that but no diff. I've installed the router drivers with no effect (never installed them for XP)......

I've tried Fire fox but thats no diff..... and nothing on the MS newsgroups seems to help.

So anyone have any ideas why i still cant view web pages in vista?

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Don’t suppose its some crazy security setting that won’t let you log into your router? Perhaps reset all the security settings within IE to default. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. hbroomhall

This sounds as if Vista is totaly confused.

You can ping by IP address - so the basic stuff is working.

You can ping at least one address by name. So DNS has worked at some time. To avoid the effect of caching try pinging other addresses - particularly ones you haven't tried on that box yet.

You say that you can access some pages. Are these from the cache, or current?

The description you give sounds horribly like some trojans that hack on the hosts file. Check that that hasn't been compromised.

Harry.

18. djpable

djpable New Member

Hi, i have read your post on Vista and USR 9003
    and i have your same problem...

But i can surf with IE7 but i cannot use
    Windows Mail, Windows Live Messanger and any program that have to connect on the internet with sockets.

I have installet right now UBUNTU 7.04 and it has the same problem.

While XP and UBUNTU 6.10 work fine.

I think that it's a router problem i'd like to know if you solved it.

19. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

twizzle,

Question:
    1. What make and model is your router?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  20. hbroomhall

Er - <cough> - you might want to check on the date of that posting.... :p

Harry.