Vista: My Story

Discussion in 'Software' started by MacAllan, Nov 17, 2007.

1. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

vista takes a little getting used to, and i dont know what they thought they were doing with office 2007, i played with it and returned to office 2002 (I love this version!!!)

I would say the its a hardware problem that your motherboard wont allow graphics from both motherboard and video card. my own motherboard is the same :(

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Office 2007 is getting good feedback so far. I have actually been asked to install it on some networks I support.

Vista on the other hand, not so good! I support some remote users who connect to Terminal server through a VPN connection. With XP their local printers were available on the TS as I have installed the drivers however since they have upgraded to Vista this doesn’t work. I have tried to install the Vista driver on the TS but when I launch the .exe I get a “Wrong OS” error message, great! :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I think this is one part that M$ did get right, i like this version compared to XP and 2003

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

No, it's a 'feature' of Vista - see the url I pointed to earlier. It's possible that if I disable all 'aero' features that it may work, I've seen reports on the web with occasional success with this - I'll have to try this out on Monday. The alternative is to install two identical graphics cards (my card has only one port) - since I'm guinea-pigging this for the department, I can't wait until I see the boss's face if I say he'll have to do this for everyone :biggrin

(Or, get cards with two ports....)

I suppose with office, it depends on what you do with it. I'm only an occasional user rather than a power user, and I don't doubt for a minute that with training I could be more productive with it than with earlier versions. But to upgrade before, I didn't need training, everything was essentially where it always had been, just a few more bells and whistles. Now the entire gui has been changed, and is extremely non-standard. If it wasn't for the MS stranglehold, they would never have got away with such a radical shift. I'm not paid to play around with office, it's just a tool I use to do other things, and any time I have to spend looking up how to do something, which I previously knew, is time wasted.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'm a fan of the new "ribbon", I know what your saying though as i have had to upgrade 17 users to 2007 with some people taking to it like a duck in water and other just giving me a strange looks :blink but that all passes after about 1 to 2 weeks lol.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

i'll be the minority, i absolutely enjoy working with vista 9 times out of 10. i think it has some great improvements over xp, both visually and security. i also really like office 07 i think office 07 is significantly easier to find certain things especially in access. man i hate that program, but in 07 it seems a bit more intuitive. with all that said i've been spending a lot of time with backtrack lately and i like using it most of the time when i'm not doing the typical web browsing and what not.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  7. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Well, that didn't work either. I'm going back to XP tomorrow - I can fart around like this at home, but not at work, I'm wasting too much time, and I've more pressing things to do.

8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yeah been using Vista, its ok pretty much same as XP, no move forward in 6 years as has been said.

I had to install Telnet as optional extra too, couldn't believe it either ! Basically they copied best practice of installing minimum to minimise security holes, hence telnet now optional.

I find the escalation a bit anoying but guess it does improve security, you can set programs to run in escalated mode or use a sudo utility.

http://www.security-hacks.com/2007/06/01/vista-sudo-utility-run-programs-as-administrator

Theres loads of Vista hack sites about to try to make it more usable, a few of these may help a little !

I'd turn off windows indexer / search service because it blows really bad !

Also If you can't get good drivers go back to XP, but otherwise its ok but sorta slooooooww....

9. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

I support users with the following builds

Win2k & Office 2K

Win Xp & Office 2K3

Vista & Office 2K7

Hence I have 3 pc's on my desk with a KVM to switch between them.

Personally I now find that I'm using the Vista machine for my own admin tasks, email, & office apps more than any other.

I sure if you had have done your Vista certification you would have sorted that Pc out in no time at all:tongue

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I did mine. Haven't used Vista since! :oops:

11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Ahhhh.... But you're "cheating". You went to a *nix variant and found a fundamentally better OS. :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  12. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Famous last words.....

They gave me another graphics card and told me to get on with it... Oh well. So, vista, two monitors... Pretty!

It then took me 10 minutes to find out how to display file extensions. Half the instructions floating around the web are wrong, or is it different for different versions of vista? I can't believe MS made that so difficult :(
    Dear Bill: stop treating me like a BABY!!!!

13. Sparky

Dude, use the help and support button, it is there for a reason. I typed in 'show file extensions' and it gave me the answer, it even had a link to Folder Options. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  14. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Thanks.... I feel like the new kid in school wearing shorts :oops:

15. Sparky

hee hee!

You get used to Vista... ....eventually! :biggrin