Vista Large File Transfer Bug - SP1 fix?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MacAllan, Feb 23, 2008.

1. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Anyone else had that problem with large file transfers over a network leading to OS freeze as vista takes forever to determine the time and never actually starting to move anything? Fancy that, an OS that can't even do file transfers properly....

I eventually found this fix.

Anyone know if SP1 has fixed it? I don't fancy trying the sp unless it's really of benefit. I've better things to do than reinstall everything all over again.

What a pos software LOL

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I had until I installed the fix for MS, and yes SP1 does have it included, see here.

Service Pack 1 does come with alot of improved features, however please be aware that one of the files needed for SP1 can cause some machines to reboot alot... (didn't on mine).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Thanks Ken, maybe I'll risk the service pack later in the week

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've applied every fix known to man or beast this week trying to sort this out. I was forced into a Vista upgrade aty work and now can't move large files about without planning for about 45 minutes' worth of workstation downtime. I've put the fix in place in the article Mac posted but its made no difference - bupkis. I'm plumbed directly into the core switch (gb port) - Copying a 15Gb VM image used to take about 10 minutes - now it takes well in excess of an hour no matter what I do.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Kitkatninja

That's not right, you sure that you're not connecting to a wireless network at the same time?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ken

I know you didn't mean to sound patronising there, but yes, I'm sure! I've been known to do some dopey things in my time, but I'm not that daft :)

7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I have noticed some improvements but I haven’t had to move any *big* files as yet.

Zeb, perhaps it may be something else that is causing the issue? Driver problem maybe?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeah, thats what I thought at first, but I've updated the NIC drivers and it made no difference

9. Kitkatninja

Sorry mate, I didn't mean to be. I was talking out of experience, I was wondering why file transfers were taking so long at work - until I realised that I didn't switch my wireless card off and the files were being transfered by it :oops:

-Ken

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

That in itself is wierd, wireless cards always have a higher metric than wired cards in the routing table, so that should never happen (in the logical world!!)
    I was having probs with file transfer speeds, although it didnt grind the machine to a halt so wasn't a big deal, just annoying as hell, i did a lot of fiddling and it never got REALLY better (altho I got the file transfer rate up from 5MBsp to 22 MBps
    thats not what I expect from a gigabit network though! (its defo the vista box as I ran iperf from every source/destination, changed window sizes, the lot!

theres a KB here that might help a little, its been rolled into SP1 as well though
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=938979

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I ran iperf too - got the same rwin and mtu size I was getting from an XP box. I also turned off the receive side auto-scaling in Vista and it didn't have any effect.

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am going to install SP1 on my vista machine at work and start testing the transfer of large files over a network and see what the improvements are. Although we have installed the patch to fix that transfer issue, it still didn't do much of a difference which is why I doubt that sp1 might do much, but I don't like to assume until I test it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

i read somewhere that this is caused by the vista machine trying to calculate how long the files will actually take to transfer whilst sending the file.

personally i use directory opus when copying larger files and it is considerably quicker than using windows explorer.
    h**p://www.gpsoft.com.au/