Vista disappearing DVD ROM

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lebowski, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Lebowski

Lebowski New Member

Hi folks

I'm looking for some advice here. My DVD Rom drive seems to have disappeared from my desktop machine. This has also happened with my Father's new laptop.

In both cases we are running vista, myself with the ultimate version, my father is running the home version.

I understand there is a registry fix floating around with instructs you to delete a filters entry but this has no effect and I believe this fix rectifies changes made to the registry by some kinds of CD burning software.

Anyhow, it seems that my drive vanishes from both the drive display under computer and from device manager. A reboot will eventually bring the drive back after several attempts. The fact that I seem to be able to boot from a CD and this has happened on 2 different machines suggests that it is a software problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this one?

Cheers

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you are running anything like nero or any burning software that came with the drive. Try uninstalling it, disable the drive in the hardware section the do a reboot and see if windows see's the drive and it stays on.

If it does stay on the you can re-install the software.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Ah yes, the Upper and LowerFilters fix. To be honest, I've only ever seen it when I've cloned a hard drive to another, and used it in a different machine. When did this start happening? Given that you're experiencing the same problem on both machines, I'm inclined to think that it's probably because you're using the same software. If you were using Legacy software with Vista that had access to the optical drives, then it might screw with something. Also, any combination of such software + a new Windows Update, or indeed, just an Update on its own might have caused the issue. What I'd suggest is doing a System Restore back to the date of/before the problem started occurring. That'll reverse the effects of any such update causing a problem.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  4. DrkSnpr4

DrkSnpr4 Bit Poster

What is the burning software that you are using?

5. Lebowski

Lebowski New Member

I have no burning software installed as yet, I have googled this problem but all I see to come up with is the upper and lower filter fix.

I will try rolling back the machine and hope that its an update. Apart from updates there is no common factor between the two machines affected so unless its a whacky coincidence I'm at a bit of a loss to explain this.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.