Vista certs?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 20, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Now you may think I am jumping the gun a bit as I still have to take my A+ and get onto studying for the N+ which Intend to have the N+ done by the middle/end of the summer and then onto MCDST.

I have no doubt some business will eventually migrate from XP to Vista once various issues are dealt with and these companies will want someone who knows vista. Are there any certs that can go along side the MCDST that will show a techs competence with Vista?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

This is like a vista upgrade to the MCDST

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/vistaupgrade/default.mspx

Certifications: A few.
  3. greenbrucelee

4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I have looked into doing it once I have done my MCDST but it is meant to be very diffcult and also there does not seem to be any books out for it yet. I think it is baiscally combining two Vista exams in to one for the MCDST upgrade.

Certifications: A few.
  5. greenbrucelee

It does look that way I think maybe Ken (wagnerk) has done this I'll PM him and see what his thoughts are.

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've read that its hard too - but isn't the end result exactly the same as taking two other Vista exams, if so, we have a choice:
    1) take and pay for 1 exam that upgrades the MCDST to a Vista version of it
    2) take and pay for 2 exams (so less pressure) that gives the Vista version of MCDST

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. greenbrucelee

I'm not sure which I'll do I'll probably do the one thats more relevant to me at the time or if I am still not working in IT by then probably MCITP.

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Ello Mate, just wondering are you thinking of doing a cert with Vista because you believe employers are using Vista?? Just wondering because like most big firms a lot of companies are still using WIN XP or win 2003 AD server. It cost a lot of money to upgrade to vista and most firms have opted out of this because of the problems faced with Vista.8)

Personally I'd make sure you had a solid understanding of winxp or win2003 server or eve thin client terminals before you go down that route of vista. Does anyone know if the sp1 vista pack has been released yet?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. greenbrucelee

I am just thinking about it because after I do my MCDST which will probably be after the summer, it may be helpful to employers to get a vista cert. I would rather get a server cert but don't really have that much experience apart from failover procedures so I was thinking that if I had a copy of vista and studied it carefully then I could maybe go for a vista cert.

If I end working on a help desk some clients may need support with vista so it could come in handy.

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The only other cert that I can think of that has anything to do with Vista is the MCAS: Vista. It doesn't come under the banner of Tech certs, it does come under the banner of MS business certs. But it does show that you can use Vista. I've found it alittle useful.

IMO, it is harder than the MCDST. You can see the material that I used here & here.

Yes SP1 for Vista is out now. I'm not sure if I would say that. MCITP: EST & MCTS: Vista is for level 1 and 2 support and the replacement of the MCDST. While I agree that you should have knowledge of Windows 2k3 server (including domain environments), having a solid knowledge of servers especially terminal services is the next level up: the MCITP: SA and the MCITP: EA.

Go for it you may want to start off with the MCAS: Vista, after you finish your Network+ and MCDST, to "ease" you into Vista. Just remember that the new MS certs (the MCTS & MCITP route) are technology and job based, different from the MCP route. So make sure that you, not only study the CBT's/books/practice exams, but also play around with Vista in a real or virtual environment.

One more thing, if you don't work in a domain environment, you may find the MCITP: CST an easier Vista option for you instead of the MCITP: EST

Good luck with your studies and let us know how you get on :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. greenbrucelee

Thanks for your valuable advice Ken, I'll be either Using Vmware/virtual PC or the two PC I have with vista to link to Xp and play around with it that way. I'll see how much harder (if at all) it is when networking two PC together.

Rep left

Edit: The MCAS looks like the one I'll go for, it doesn't look too hard.

12. Kitkatninja

To be honest, it wasn't that hard. Just remember this exam is via Certiport and not Prometric :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  13. greenbrucelee

is certiport just the same deal as prometric & vue where you book the exam then take it?

14. Kitkatninja

Yes, certiport is a testing centre like Prometric or Vue. However from what I've been told the voucher are slightly different, depending on what type of certiport testing centre they are. Find your closest testing centre and give them a ring, if the closest one is Tresham in Northamptonshire, let us know and I can PM the contact details of the person that runs the Certiport testing centre in our area.

-Ken

15. greenbrucelee

Apparently my nearest ones are Bradford and Middlesborough.

16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Like you said it’s probably best to decide after the N+ depending on what job you are in and what interests you.

Regardless I would definitely consider the Vista cert as there may be more Vista PCs appearing in corporates after the release of SP1 and also with Server 2008 coming out soon. You could even go for the 70-270 as well and this would help towards the MCSA in the future. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. greenbrucelee

I have been looking into 70-270 also as something I'll do in the future, the OS side of things is starting to appeal to me greatly as I am learning lots of different things at the moment before I started studying the A+ my forte was really hardware. Since I set up my own Network and started getting different OSs to talk to each other with not too much hassle I am going to start getting into it more.

18. Sparky

I did like the 70-270; it was a good first Microsoft exam to start with. Setting up a RIS server and installing XP images to PCs with no OS installed was cool. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  19. greenbrucelee

It looks like I'm gonna need a new cabinet for all the books I'm gonna need :blink

20. Sparky

Yup, I’m the same. All the books for the MCSE lined up with 4 servers and 3 desktops. Told the wife I would throw out the servers after the MCSE but the servers aint going anywhere. 8)