Vista and XP

Discussion in 'Networks' started by shaggy, Sep 24, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Trying to fileshare between vista and XP, what a load of rubbish it is

as soon as i connect my switch via ethernet cable i get the little 'identifying network' thing come up, it identifies and takes down my internet connection, so i use the 'repair' tool and it says theres more than one connection....

OBVIOUSLY

so i have to unplug the switch to get back online

cant map the network either, says both adaptors are unplugged

dunno what else to say, cant believe its so hard to do

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You have to be a bit more precise than that am afraid:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... need to know how many NICs are installed, what is connected to what, what IP addresses you're using, etc...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

haha thought you may need a bit more info but i was filled with anger yesterday and couldnt come up with a better explanation

anyway

The vista desktop has a cable modem attached directly to it, internet works fine, just plugged it in and it did whatever it does and i could use the net, no configuring of anything

The XP laptop connects to the internet through the desktop (well, did when both were running XP)

i connect them together via a 5 port switch and 2 ethernet cables which plug directly into both machines NIC's

never had to do anything with IP addresses to get them to work, used to just plug it all in, run the wizard on both machines and voila! a small network

BUT, when i plug the Vista machine into the port it takes down my internet, so i click the diagnose help wizard thing and it says "it appears theres two connections on this machine, unplug one to resolve this problem", so i unplug the ethernet cable from the switch, problem solved and internets back up

hope thats a little more help

5. BosonMichael

Manually assign an address on the NICs connected between PCs that doesn't conflict with the address range used by the Internet NIC, and you should be able to connect.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Shaggy,

So does the following resemble your "network diagram?"

Code:
    {Cable ISP}-----[Cable Modem]----[Vista Desktop]---[5 port switch]---[XP Laptop]

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

While I cant help with your current configuration, all your problems would be solved simply by buying a router and connecting your cable modem and PC's to it.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  8. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

r.h.lee you are correct, thats how my setup looks

and yeah ideally i would like a router, scraping for car insurance this month though haha, might check the ole 'bay for one

will give the manually assigning IP's a go in the morning, cheers for the help

9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

shaggy,

I found the following webpage at Microsoft.com on "Set up a shared Internet connection using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)."

Source:
    1. Windows Vista Help: Set up a shared Internet connection using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/86095ff9-e0b4-4526-9a3a-ea6545dd1e9e1033.mspx

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  10. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

ok so, gave it another go today, plugged all the cables in, let vista do what it has to do, used the ICS guide to share the internet, and voila, the laptop had internet access via the desktop

so, filesharing, was fart arsing around, decided to see if i could ping each computer, but the request kept timing out (both by name and IP)

the NICs connecting the PC's together, one had values already in, one was set to automatic, so tried setting them both to auto, lost everything, no internet sharing, nothing

went for the manual approach, i used:

Computer 1
    IP: 192.168.10.100
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.10.1
    DNS: 192.168.10.1

Computer 2
    IP: 192.168.10.101
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.10.1
    DNS: 192.168.10.1

still nothing, but they know each machine exists as when using identical IP's an error pops up saying its conflicting. so, reset both machines, went back into the NIC's IP settings and the vista machine had reset to a default IP etc, the laptop was how i set it, so changed the vista machine back to (theoretically) work with the laptops IP settings, but still nothing

did ip release and renew on the laptop, but it wouldnt renew automatically, had to enter it myself

made sure i was using IPv4 and not v6 on the vista machine

didnt touch any firewall settings in the short time that it was working, tried disabling them anyway but still nothing

still cant ping either machine

sorry to be a pain, i should really know how to solve this, 2 years of college wasted

11. flopstocks

flopstocks Nibble Poster

When I tried to fileshare between Vista and Xp, I had to enable a protocol on the xp machine, in local area connection properties - Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder. If I remember correctly a file is required to be downloaded on the xp machine! It solved a similar problem that I had!

Certifications: A+, Network+, CCNA, BSc(Hons) Open
  12. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Yup, had that installed on the XP machine already, it allows the XP machine to be visible to the vista machine i believe

i think its obviously caused by me faffing with the IP settings, but cant get it working again

when i map the network i get this which would indicate i could see each computer, however i cant, and still no internet as indicated

[​IMG]

13. BosonMichael

Check firewall settings?

14. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Done that, it worked without me touching them when it briefly worked, disabled them all anyway, also made sure ICS was an exception when they were on

was deffinatly related to me touching the IP addresses, as soon as i tried entering them manually it all went kaput

havnt touched the IP info relating to the internet itself, this has always been set on automatic.

15. BosonMichael

You can ping the ICS box from either, right?

For the record... I wouldn't recommend ICS for *any* environment... business OR home.

16. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

nope, cant ping either machine from eachother, the request times out

17. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

how about setting it all up again using ICS and when its working type in ipconfig /all and note what DNS/DHCP/Gateway/IP it gives you.... what results do you get?

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  18. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Ok so i have some progress...

after doing IP release and renew before DNS flush and register and restarting both machines i now have net access on both machines

when i try to fileshare it wasnt having it, so i had to disable the IPX and NETBios protocol on the XP NIC (anyone know why as i use that for Red alert LAN games) this enables the laptop to view the shared files on the vista machine BUT i cannot see anything on the laptop, wont even pick it up, or am i not looking in the right place?

EDIT: nevermind, for some reason re-enabling those protocols has made the laptop showup on the vista machine, everythings working! wahoo, can anyone shed some light on why turning off IPX and NETBIOS then turning them back on fixed the problem? i like to understand why things work you see, im guessing it just reset them?

thanks for all your help

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

IPX has nothing to do with this as it is a legacy Netware protocol so you can forget that.

NETBIOS is used by the browser service, which is what network neighbourhood uses. Meaning if you want to click through Windows expolrer to see shared resources on other computers. The list is not propagated instantly and can take time to sort itself out. Elections take place amongst the various computers on the network to establish which one is going to take up the role of browser master.

Sometimes you just need to be patient :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

i have only skimmed through the thread.

from what i gather you have fixed ICS so now you can browse through the vista desktop via your laptop,

but neither machines can ping each other.

do you ahev any form of firewall on either machine or is windows firewall enabled.

on teh vista machine in the network sharing center what is your internal network set as Public or private.

are teh firewalls configured to accept ICMP echo requests.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security