Vista and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some advice really. Currently working towards MCDST and not 100% sure of the path Id like to take, MCSA, Cisco, CCNA, CIW etc..However, I thought whilst Im deciding, maybe it would be an idea to also take DST exams for Vista and Windows 7.

Any comments appreciated,

Many thanks,

Ron

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO, the first step is to decide what area of IT you actually want to enter. Studying and taking exams can be very time consuming and can cost.

If you already work in IT, then get certified in what you already work with/on.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Agreed, it's no good taking certs as a way to get into IT only to discover you don't like the subjects you studied. If I were you I would take a step back and decide whether you want to be involved in the Windows side of things or whether you want to be in the Cisco or Web Dev side of things, they are all completely different and whilst they overlap to a degree you won't often do a job that will encompass them all (I haven't touched a Cisco router or Novell server in over 8 years now, which is one of the reasons why I haven't kept current with those certifications, A it's a waste of my time and B it's a waste of money.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Jaron78

To be honest guys, I have no IT qualifications. I felt that starting at beginning (MCDST) would be a starting point and help me to decide on a path. Hopefully, the MCDST could help me get a Desktop Support role, then see where I would like to go from there. If things go well, I could move up to 3rd Line Desktop Support etc.

Does this make sense?

Many thanks,

Ron

5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Do you really want to work in IT? or are you after quick money?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ considering he has started studying, before having a job in IT, do you think he is under the impression this is some get rich quick scheme?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. Jaron78

Thank you Daniel.
    No this isnt a case of Quick Money.

I's 32 and for 15 years I have worked in Video Games as a QA Tester, Manager etc.
    I was made redundant in November and felt that I need qualifications. (I went to school straight from doing my G.C.S.E.'s).

I feel I have a lot to offer and think with hard work and dedication I can succeed. I'm looking for a career in IT, not just to make a quick buck!!

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You'd be better off starting with the A+ then Network+ then get at least 12 months experience under your belt then go for the MCDST.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just wondering, if you've got experience as a tester, why don't you get qualified in that and continue in that field of IT? Instead of changing fields and heading into support.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What he said.

You've already got a field of expertise/experience.
    I'd be inclined to build on that rather than take a step backwards and start all over again.

Have a think about the requirements for your last job and what you'd need to get promoted or whatever.
    There must be some training or qualifications that would help you out.

What about things like project management or people skills etc?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. Jaron78

To be honest, the Video Games QA is a very insecure industry. I was working with one guy who had been made redundant 8 times in the last 7 years.

When I say QA I actually mean Games Tester. Pretty much sitting there playing through games and reporting issues. I feel that at 32, this isn't something I want to be doing when I hit 42.

From experience, the Video Games industry is more of a Who You Know Than What You Know industry which in all honesty drives me crazy. Especially when you have someone who knows nothing and is brought in only a ludicrous rate of pay only to run the firm into the ground (Like my last job).

I also feel I needed something to fall back on. If I do find myself back in the QA industry, then at least I have exams behind me, or they could help me move into the IT Support of a Games Studio.

What I am trying to say is that with these certifications, Id have a lot more avenues to explore. Does that make sense?

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I guess so.
    Must be tough having a job that most 18 year olds would kill for.

Mind you, you're probably going to say that it's not as much fun as it sounds. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. Jaron78

HAD a job most 18 Years Olds would kill for :wink:
    It could be a fantastic job, but then again, sitting there for 3 or 4 months at a time playing the same dross over and over again did get a bit repetitive at times I must admit :D

14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

A+, N+, MCDST.

Take a look through your CV and find anything you can use to draw attention to your troubleshooting and customer support skills and start applying for any and every entry level support job out there.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I suppose you can look into games design or development i.e. writing in programming language like C#, java etc.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. Jaron78

To be honest, I'm trying to steer well clear of the Games Industry mate.