Virus removal

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Meltin, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Meltin

Meltin Bit Poster

Im looking at a friends computer that has problems with viruses. The computer will only start in safe mode ( windows 2000 professionalI have run AVG on it and it has come up with over 250 infected objects and this is before I have even started looking for Spyware. AVG does not seem to be removing them either and when it scans it is unable to read the MBR or the Boot record. My question is, is it worth trying to remove them and if so whats the best way to proceed, or would it be easier to copy any important documents and then reformat the drive and start from scratch?
    Any ideas welcome!

Certifications: A+, Network+,MCSA
    WIP: 70-297
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

go to NOD32 download the 30 trial ans install that.. switch off system restore (right click my computer --> properties --> System restore tab --> turn off system restore) then boot up in safe mode and let it clean up.. if you have problems setting up nod32 let me know as its a bit of a mission.. :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Depending on their machine set-up, progams, encrypted data, lost discs etc would be the decider for me.

We all know Windows loves a wipe and re-install every now and again....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Meltin

Meltin Bit Poster

Thanks guys. The system seemed so corrupted I went for the reinstall and now all patches, antivirus and anti-spyware is intalled it seems to be running a treat!

Certifications: A+, Network+,MCSA
    WIP: 70-297
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

oh, glad to hear it. Some people say it makes good sense to re-install Windows every year....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Zimbo, just to let you know, W2K does not have a system restore feature. Us Windows 2000 Professional users have no need of such things :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. dotnetms

dotnetms Bit Poster

imo, AVG isnt fantastic, use housecall.trendmicro.com online free scan. If you use Norton etc, its better than AVG. I tested both and AVG doesnt detect all the viruses.

John

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

AVG has never let me down, been using it on multiple machines for the last 7 years. Every time I see a virus ridden computer it has Norton on it with an expired subscription :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)