1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtualisation software advice

Discussion in 'Windows Vista / 7 / 8 Client Exams' started by Gareth.Harle, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Gareth.Harle

Gareth.Harle Bit Poster

Hey All,

Just passed 70-620 and found it ok. It's fairly simple with revision of key Vista facts and if you know your way around doing simple things.

As the exams get more complex and I don't use Vista/Server 2008 in my production environment I want to start up a virtualised environment of some Client and Server OS's on my fairly powerful desktop. Does anyone have some good advice and can point me in the direction of the best virtualisation software. The best I can find so far seems to be VMWare Workstation but its pricey.

Any thoughts would be great.

Certifications: MCSA, MCT, MCITP:EST
    WIP: Not sure yet
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

VMWare Server is completely free and gives you everything you will need - check it out here. VMWare workstation is not free, but the benefits you get with it compared to the server product are negligible at the level you need it for.
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. dales

dales Gigabyte Poster

I agree with zeb vmware server is certainly a good way to go, the also rans could be MS virtual PC and virtualbox. If you are lucky enough to have a spare pc kicking about with at least 1gig of ram you also coulde chance an arm and try to see if vmware esxi will work on it.
    Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - don't hold your breath... it won't work on my 6650 Poweredges and they're only three years old! :biggrin
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

I would say Virtual PC, it's free and setting up the networking (whether it's in a virtual network or virtual to physical) is easy.

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I use vpc as Ken said it's very easy to set up.
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?